Search This Blog

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Recipe Review 1/25/07

Okay! Here's a post for my foodie friends! We're starting to recover from a slow start this year and things are now getting made. I had a good week this past week and I have more recipes on deck for next week. Very exciting. Here's the results:

Roast Turkey and Butternut Squash Risotto (Ckng Lght Annual 07, pg 408) 7
I have decided I really like risotto. Yes, it is time consuming - plan on at least an hour of prep and cook time - but the results! Oh so yummy. This one did take a bit longer to assemble as I got a phone call from the SIL and my cell phone drops calls in the area of the stove.

Anyway, as usual I digress. This was a really flavorful and delightful dish. I used some frozen rotisserie chicken (my favorite now!) and lightly reheated it. I did use half the amount the recipe called for. The butternut squash was from my garden last fall and well, everything else from the store. The squash was cubed and lightly cooked in some broth and set aside. The water and chicken broth for the risotto gently heated then the rice nicely sauteed before starting the slow process of adding the broth. So worth it. At the end, everything is combined and heated through. Creamy, smooth, nicely flavored. Yum! This made about 5 meals for me. You'll be seeing more risottos in the coming months.

Turkey Soup with Cheddar Dumplings (Culinary in the Country - c/o Everyday Foods) 8
Fantastic! And so easy! Saute some onion and carrots in a bit of oil. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Make the dumplings: flour, cornmeal, thawed frozen corn, egg, leavening and cheddar cheese. Bring the broth to a boil, add turkey (again, leftover rotisserie chicken) add dumplings and cook for about 8 minutes more and serve!

The dumplings turned out light and plump and so flavorful from the corn and cheddar. My only complaint was that the dumplings did absorb quite a bit of the broth so I have a deficit of broth to dumplings now toward the end of the week. If I make this again, I would up the broth and veggies. And maybe add some celery.

Sausage, Beans and Rice (Gail - c/o Penzey's One Magazine) 8
Ooo! I liked this one! Per Gail's notes, I halved this recipe right off the top. I also subbed black-eyed peas for the called for kidney beans (I'm really not wild about kidney beans) and I used the whole can of diced tomato to use it up. The flavors of this are reminiscent of, oh, perhaps southwestern crossed with Americanized Cuban or Puerto Rican. It was perhaps almost a bit too spicy - but I have potent Cayenne pepper so I should have known to cut back. The kielbasa added a nice meaty counterpoint and the simplicity of the whole dish was just great.

4 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

I like risotto a lot, too. But I seem to recall you once referring to rotisserie chicken as "e coli in a bucket." What made you change your mind?

Kristin said...

Yes, I admit I called rotisserie chicken "e-coli in a bucket". I while back I was grocery shopping and had absolutely nothing for dinner and I wanted something warm and somewhat healthy, so I shrugged and grabbed one.

OMG. It. was. so. GOOD! And I didn't get sick. So, a while down the road I tried another.

I love having this quick, hot meal and then deboning the leftovers a couple days later and having shredded chicken available for recipes.

So while I'm still super dubious about the health aspect, the flavor and convience is absolutely fantastic.

rbstens said...

Hi Kris,

I made the dumpling soup the other day and we all loved it. Ben declared he didn't like dumplings before he even tried it, but he ate all the soup and Alex ate his dumplings. I did skip the e-coli bucket and used frozen leftovers from X-mas. Thanks, Great new site.

Rob

Kristin said...

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear the family liked the soup! I loved how easy it was to pull together and the dumplings were some of the best I'd ever had. Yum.

Popular Posts