Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2007

Recipe Review 4/2/06

I checked the other night to see how my recipe count is coming this year compared to last year at this time - we are on a roll this year! As of this posting I am up to 37 new recipes for the year. Last year I didn't hit 37 until June! Awesome. Doing well so far.

A couple simple light recipes to reflect spring:

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins 7 (Culinary in the Desert) http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05/lemon-poppy-seed-muffins.html
These were simple to make and tasted just delightful. A bit of Spring for your mouth. Lemon zest is mixed with granulated sugar, than added to AP flour, WW flour, baking powder and baking soda. This is combined with sour cream, lemon juice, eggs and vanilla and poppy seeds. Fill the baking cups 1/2 full, add a dollup of raspberry jelly, then finish and bake. I opted not to add the powdered sugar glaze over the top. These would be perfect for a spring or summer tea.



Kisir (Ckng Lght, Mar 07, pg 208)
This is a Turkish version of tabouleh. Bulger is mixed with olive oil, lemon juice, water and salt in the bottom of a bowl. Then onions are added, followed by cucumbers (I subbed yellow pepper) chopped tomatoes, more bell pepper, mint and parsley, and finally chickpeas. This concoction then needs to sit for 24-48 hours so it's perfect as a make-ahead dish. I will be rolling this in some lettuce leaves for lunches.

Cod Picatta (Ckng Lght, Mar 07, pg 124) 7
A lovely light dish that assembled in mere minutes. Orzo is brought to a boil and cooked according to the package directions. Chopped grape tomatoes, parsley and seasonings are added and this is set aside. Meanwhile, a fillet of white fish (recipe called for tilapia, I used cod) is lightly dusted in flour and then pan fried. A liquid mixture of white wine, lemon juice and capers are added to the pan to de-glaze it and the subsequent sauce is drizzled over the fish. Total time was about 20 minutes from start to finish. The flavors were very bright with a nice tang from the capers. Yummy. I love capers!

Twice Baked Salmon Potatoes (Ckng Lght, Mar 07, pg 152) 7
This was a really easy and tasty dish! However, the baking times are something to take into consideration, but easily accommodated. I qaurted the recipe again, but this dish is very well suited to making the full amount then freezing portions of it. A baking potato(s) is/are cooked for 50 minutes. Meanwhile (you have 50 minutes after all), combine sour cream, milk, pre-packaged salmon (like chunk tuna), green onions, and Dijon mustard. I made this substitution because 1) I'm not wild about horseradish and 2) my two jars of horseradish were rather outdated (by years).

When the potato(s) is/are done, scoop out the insides leaving a shell. Combine the potato guts with the sour cream-salmon mixture and mix well. Replace in the shells, top with Parmesan cheese and bake for another 15 minutes. This gives you just enough time to clean up the dishes and set the table. Serve! I enjoyed these twice baked potatoes - not too fishy, nice tang from the sour cream and just the right level of spice from the mustard. I would make these again.


3 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

I made two new recipes this weekend--I think you're rubbing off on me. The first was chocolate zucchini muffins, which were very yummy. The other was an enchilada casserole in the crock pot that I got off the Cooking Light web site. It was a bit heartburn-inducing, but okay. I'm now plotting to do the stovetop mac & cheese with chicken sausage that's in the current issue of Cooking Light.

Kristin said...

Ooo...I was eyeballing that Mac&Cheese with sausage recipe too. That looked just yummy.

Which enchilada recipe was it? I've kinda been in the mood for enchilada's and I could freeze some for later.

Gail O'Connor said...

It's not proper enchiladas because it's not wrapped in tortillas. Instead you put a corn bread on top and let it cook. Your blog won't let me put in a link. It's called Enchilada Casserole, it's a slow cooker recipe, and it was published in October 2004.

I left out the green onions & cilantro, and didn't serve it with the sour cream.

As I was reading the mac & cheese recipe I was thinking: where am I going to find sun-dried tomato chicken sausages? But I found them yesterday at Aldi, so now I just need to pick up the rest of the ingredients.

Popular Posts