Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2007

Recipe Review 4/9/07

This was going to be my Minicon post, but I just don't have the time today to write up my review. So I'm going to post about Minicon on Thursday and do a recipe review instead to tide folks over. Stay tuned!

This past week was a mixture of success and failures. I don't have many failures, but when I do, yaowza, they are doozies. Only two recipes for review this week.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread (CL Mar 07, pg 142) 1

This bread had good promise and failed to deliver. It wasn't hard to assemble, it rose nicely, it did what bread was supposed to do in the oven...except on the inside. Both loaves of bread "shelled", which means that I had undercooked bread with a huge hole in the middle. Of course you don't know this until you cut into it then suddenly you are in a state of quiet dismay. I'm not sure if it was something I did wrong (yeast was good, rise times were appropriate, oven was preheated by a good hour) or if it was the recipe. Often when a recipe is a failure I am hesitant to make it again because I've already wasted those ingredients once and I'm not keen on doing it again. But the little bit of ends that I did have tasted good so, we'll see.


Sweet Corn Chowder with Salmon (CL Mar 07, pg 154) 6

This recipe was incredibly simple: saute onion, add potato and broth, simmer till potato is done. Add frozen corn, cream of corn, and a package of salmon. Heat through and serve. I found this a titch salty and I dunno, the salmon flavor a bit strong for my taste. On the other hand, the creamy consistency was just perfect and I loved the addition of the cream of corn. It was a good soup to have while it was snowing (we got 12" total) and blowing outside in April, but some flavor aspect of it could use a little tweaking. I had it mostly for lunches with some Frito's and grape tomatoes.

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

OK, last night I made the stovetop mac & cheese with chicken sausage that's in the current issue of Cooking Light. It's a bit odd. Not bad, just odd. I think a bit more cheese sauce relative to the quantity of noodles would have been a good thing.

Popular Posts