Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Grand Marais, MN 2007 (Part 1)

For the last 4 years, I have met my folks up the North Shore for a bit of hiking. For the last 2 we've gone to Grand Marais over Memorial Day weekend - it helps that they bought a camper trailer and they bring it up to the Municipal Campground. Our weekends include hiking another segment of the Superior Hiking Trail, eating, and bumming around. This year was no exception.

I drove up on Friday and met them at noon. It was sunny but chilly (48*) with a light lake wind. We had a light meal of chef salads then went for a walk around town - this is one of the nice things about Grand Marais, everything is within walking distance. Dinner was at Chez Jude on Friday night.


We had reservations for 5:30p, a bit early perhaps as we did have the restaurant to ourselves. However, that didn't stop us from being our usual selves.





We each ordered something different, except the Father wouldn't let the Mother nor I touch his ribs so we have to take his word for it that they were good, and seeing as he cleaned his plate, I don't doubt that they were. But the mustard that came with his dish was fantastic and I had to sample several bites with stolen french fries.

Apple with whitefish salad, balsamic syrup and herring roe











Superior Whitefish en Papillote w/Meyer Lemon Parsley Butter Sauce





Wood Roasted Ancho Maple BBQ Glazed Pork Ribs




Wood Roasted Cedar Planked
Wild Sockeye Salmon
Lemon Curd Creme Brulee





Chocolate Decadence






French Apple Frangipane Tart





We concluded our meal with a walk down to the harbor to allow such delectables a chance to settle on the stomach before retiring for the evening.

4 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

Did you whip our your camera and take pictures of your food in the restaurant? LOL! My parents thought it was very weird when I took a photo of my pastrami sandwich in Chicago. It's a blog thing, and they don't get it.

A. Lutzi Rockwell said...

This looks like a gourmet place. In Grand Marais! The salmon looked really good. What was your favorite?

Kristin said...

Gail - Yup! I had my camera just sitting out on the table and snapped photo's as the food came. If the restaurant had more people in it I would only have done my dishes.

Adam - (Hi! How's Fin?) Lots of "gourmet" places in Grand Marais now! I counted no less than 4 this weekend: Chez Jude, Crooked Spoon (review coming), Wild Onion (not like Grand Ave), and Angry Trout.

I have to say I liked my dish the best, but I'm partial to salmon. The whitefish would have been my second favorite and the Father's fries were darn tasty with mustard.

A. Lutzi Rockwell said...

4 "gourmet" places in grand marais. Must be all the Yuppies from the Cities that have created a demand. Maybe Karen will want to go there now.

Popular Posts