Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Knitting, Project #1, My Scarf

Way back in March...well, earlier than that actually, but March was when I went and did something about it, I became fascinated with knitting and taught myself how to knit. I was going to take a class back in January and February from one of my local yarn stores, but a 6 week class and a $60.00 price tag was more than I wanted to commit to. Besides, I didn’t think I needed such an in depth class for something that nearly everyone is doing.


So with some on-line guidance from a friend and a small shopping list, I grabbed a local friend and we checked out the Yarn Harbor in Duluth. I dutifully bought the appropriate weight yarn and the corresponding needles and a book. A very handy book as I will discover over the coming months.

Thus on a quiet evening (remember this was March) I sat myself down and figured out how to cast on, how to hold the needles (very important), how to hold the yarn (even more important) and how to do the basic knit or garter stitch. Before long I was knitting a scarf! Now this wasn’t with out some lessons...I had to rip my project apart no less than three times to get the width right. Attempt #1 had me making a 5" wide scarf. Attempt #2 had it at 12". Attempt #3 I think I had the cast on count correct. Other lessons learned were to periodically check your stitch count lest you some how end up adding on 10 extra stitches somewhere. More ripping out involved but I learned how to do so and then get the needles back on the project.



So by April I finished my first project. I was going to block it before I posted this but I seem to be dragging my feet. I may not block it either. We'll see.



Pattern: Knitting by Jennifer Worick, The Starter Scarf, pg 32.
Yarn: Cascade Farms Ecological Wool, 100% Puruvian Highland Wool, 478 yards
Store: The Yarn Harbor, Duluth, MN
Needle size: #10

Kia's not so sure she wants to be a model...

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

Kia is a lovely model--she should do it more often.

Popular Posts