Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2007

Pantry Reduction Month, Week 2

So the quest to reduce the food in the pantry and freezer continues! As I mentioned in my previous post, it isn't about baring my cupboards so much as just cleaning things out a bit. I'm also finding it's going a bit slow...but that could be because of my odd work schedule right now. Still, it's been fun to find a recipe to use up a very particular ingredient rather than just choosing a completely new recipe.

This past week we pulled out and ate (see, I'm even squeezing in a couple of new recipes!):

1/4 box rotini became - Bob Barkers Summertime Salad (Rachel Ray Every Day, June pg 131) This made a lot and would be great for a summer potluck for people with non-adventurous taste buds. I found it lacking a bit in the seasoning department. It could have used just a bit of...something. Feta cheese perhaps? Provolone? Pepperoni? The visual appeal of this salad was delightful: red, orange and yellow peppers, red cherry tomatoes, bright green basil, dark purple kalmata olives. I did make one substitution: the recipe called for tri-color rotini, but I used whole wheat.


1 tub Marinara sauce - which will go on the linguine or my homemade ravioli or both.

1 tub Corn and Salmon Chowder

2 frozen bananas became - Tropical Banana Cream Muffins (Culinary in the Desert Blog) I haven't tried one of these yet because they are for book group tonight. A banana muffin is transformed from ordinary into tropical with the addition of cinnamon, ginger, lime, sour cream and coconut. I didn't have lime zest so I obviously skipped that bit, and I omitted the coconut because people are just funny about it. Instead, I added some lemon zest to some sugar and sprinkled it over the top of half the muffins. Oops, forgot to snap a picture, I'll have to add one later.
I have just been reminded to come back and review the muffins! They were just okay. The lime juice didn't really come through and they turned out a bit on the dry side. Perhaps if I had added the lime zest and some toasted coconut they would have been more "tropical", but I wasn't overly impressed as it was. They also weren't as enthusiastically recieved at book group as other treats I have brought, if I am to judge from thier eager taste buds. I think my group prefers chocolate, carrot cake and cheesecake...

I also used up some: walnuts, sunflower seeds, and honey while making granola, and some packets of yogurt culture while making yogurt. Bit by bit I am making progress!

5 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

Good for you! I've been thinking I need to go on a quest to use up some cider vinegar. See, I knew that I was running low on it, so I bought a bottle. And then, shopping one day and remembering that I was running low, I bought another bottle, having forgotten that I'd already bought some. So I have two bottles to use up, and I don't use it that fast. Yes, this will be a good task to set for myself.

And let us know if the muffins are good. They sound interesting.

Gail O'Connor said...

Well? How were the muffins?

Kristin said...

Comments have now been added to the post!

A. Lutzi Rockwell said...

Kristin. Karen and I last week made fusilli for Katie and Eric. I think you would like it. We got it from everyday Italian. It is Fusilli with an etire bag of spinich (sauteed down), asiago, baby tomatos and garic (and olive oil). Here is the link for the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_36676,00.html?rsrc=search
Karen didn't like it too much. I added more asiago than was called for and it made it a bit heavy. I would follow the recipe exactly. Finny liked it though (but the garlic gave him gas.) Have a good weekend.

A. Lutzi Rockwell said...

I don't think the whole url made it, here is the end:
OOD_9936_36676,00.html?rsrc=search

Popular Posts