Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by JK Rowling

I wasn’t sure if I should even review this. I mean, really, everybody and their second, third and fourth cousins, mothers, fathers, siblings and friends, have read this book. But, I thought about it and decided I should because it is a book I read this year.


So. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. First off, I still don’t care for the title. Hallows in the book refers to three very magical items that when brought together will cheat Death. I kept thinking that Hallows meant a place, such as Godrick's Hollow, not a bunch of trinkets to be found.

Anyway, that was my major gripe with the book. Like the majority of opinions I have read on this topic, I felt this was possibly Rowlings best book yet. Though Potter and the Goblet of Fire was pretty darn good too. I thought Rowling had some nice plot surprises, she tied off several loose ends very satisfactorily, and overall it was very well written, keeping the reader engaged and interested all the way through (unlike several other books I have read lately).


Let’s see, what else. Well, I also liked how the Professor Snape conundrum was resolved, I liked how the final battle was played out and I liked how she brought back the house elves. I didn’t like the "great quest" bit in the middle (Harry, Hermonie and Ron go on a quest to find the horcruxes and they spend months wandering around from place to place), I didn’t like the lack of emotion (with the exception of Dobby) when people were bumped off - I just kind of shrugged and thought, eh, another one gone - and I really didn’t like the "17 years later" at the end. Too pat. Didn’t work for me. I can understand the need to "wrap things up" so there wouldn’t be speculation about another book or pirated copies that sort of thing, but it...wasn’t quite right somehow.

So there it is. I read the series along with the rest of the world and ya know, overall, it was a pretty good story.

No comments:

Popular Posts