Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pantry Reduction, Continued

Back in May I did a month (a month and a half actually) of "pantry reduction" with the intent of cleaning out some of the various accumulated foodstuffs. I am happy to report back that I am still working on this. Bit by bit the freezer and dry foods drawer is getting cleaned out. But boy, it sure is a slow process!

I haven’t made much - *ahem* read nothing - new lately to post about, so I thought I would touch on what I’ve managed to use up.

1 pkg lake trout (caught and vacuum sealed Fall 05). I planked this on a cedar board with fresh oregano from the garden. The Husband was just happy to eat the fish. I don’t care for Lake Superior Lake trout so I had salmon.

Homemade ravioli’s. I made a rather large batch of these last summer (forgetting to add the marscapone cheese) and it’s been slow going working my way through them. I bought a jar of Barilla spaghetti sauce and added fresh garden zucchini and some sliced mushrooms to make it a chunky sauce.

Tropical Banana Cream Muffins; recipe was from Culinary in the Country and I made it late Spring. I shouldn't have let these sit so long in the freezer as the last couple tasted a bit stale.

***

And now for something completely different - I did try something new: I froze grapes! Ooo, are these seductive tasty little buggers. I bought a batch of red grapes, washed and patted dry and placed on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. I inadvertently forgot about them so they sat in the freezer for about 4 days. No harm done. I have been reading that frozen grapes were good - yes, yes they are.

And, in the gadget department, I finally (being the last person in the States to do so) bought my household a waffle maker! I found a small Cuisinart Belgian waffle maker at Cooks on Crocus, Grand Ave, St. Paul for $20.00! Perfect for my budget and my storage room. No waffles have been made yet though. I'm hoping I will have time this weekend. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Joe said...

I love that store - I've been to it twice since we've been out here. Though, Sur La Table is somewhat more appealing!

Kristin said...

Hi Joe,

If you like Cooks on Crocus, try The Kitchen Window in Calhoun Square. They have an amazing selection of nearly everything.

Gail O'Connor said...

Oooh, I love waffles! How could you live without a waffle iron? I like to throw in whatever I have around, like berries or chocolate chips or coconut. And then I've got leftovers, which means quick breakfasts--always a good thing.

Kristin said...

That is exactly the question I have been asking myself these last several years! I mean, waffles are so versitile - you can put whatever in them, cook a batch up and reheat later. You can top them with an egg, eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner, plain or with toppings.

Yes, I have delayed far to long in this purchase, but I was being particular about the waffle maker itself. It had to be just right and I finally found one.

Popular Posts