Search This Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Knitting Project #4 Dishcloths!

While at Minicon in April, I noticed my friend was busily knitting away at a couple of small-ish projects. Intrigued (I was plugging away at a scarf and a hat), I watched for a while then curiosity got the better of me (it's like reading the paper with someone else...the section they are reading is always more interesting than your own) so I had to inquire.

She was working on a couple of dishcloths. I fell in love with the little projects, the way the colors and patterns slowly reveled themselves into these delightful dishcloths. She gave me one pattern, a neat mock basket weave, with instructions on what kind of yarn to buy and where I could get it. Dishcloths are made from 100% cotton, usually a "Sugar-n-Cream" brand or a "Peaches-n-Cream" brand. I found "Sugar-n-Cream at my local Michaels for something like $1.49 for a 2oz skein.

I'm hooked! Here's a sample of what I've made:

Alex’s Cloth









#7 needles
Sugar-n-Cream yarn in Daisy Ombre and Potpourri Ombre
1 skein
8.5" x 8.5"

I really liked this pattern. Super simple and it looks really nice.













#7 needles
Sugar-n-Cream yarn in Faded Demin
1 skein
7.5x7.5

This is where I learned that I really need to loosen up my knitting. I knit tight, incredibly tight, and I have to say the cool thing about working with this cotton yarn was I was forced to learn how to loosen my stitches.













(hmm...the light color is supposed to be yellow)
# 7 needles
Sugar-n-Cream yarn in Lt Blue and Yellow
1 skein = 2 cloths @ 8.5" x 8.5"

This is the one Gail was puttering on at Minicon that grabbed my attention. This was a devious little cloth. The first time I made it I ripped it apart no less than three times and there was no way I was going to let such a small project get the better of me. Now I’ve made four of this pattern and it takes me about 3 hours per cloth.


Depending on the pattern, one dishcloth takes very little time at all - something like 3 or 4 hours or a day depending on how many distractions you have. I'm thinking these will make some great "Special Occasion" gifts, wrapped up neatly with some taffeta and a bar of homemade kitchen soap on top (no, no, I'm not making my own soap!). Or with a bottle of wine or kitchen gadget. I've found a slew of patterns on the internet and on the little skeins of yarn so I will have lots of variety to play around with. So now rather than just doing patterns and colors all random, I need to start focusing on complimentary combinations and the intended recipients kitchen colors.

2 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

You've done four of Mossy Triangles? Wow. You're a braver woman than I...once was enough for me. I think I'll knit a couple more of Alex's cloth, though. I liked that one.

Kristin said...

The Mossy Triangles was actually super simple once that first one was done. I was litterally knocking one off in about 3 hours. What I especially liked about the pattern was I could get two cloths out of one skein.

One of these day's I'm going to have to look up another pattern to add to the dishcloth collection.

Popular Posts