Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Making Money by Terry Pratchett

We return to the world of Moist von Lipwig, a hanged man given a new life as the head of the Postal Service for Anhk Morpork.

I am going to cheat today and take the description from Book Review off of Amazon:
Moist von Lipwig, the savior of the Ankh-Morpork post office, has gotten settled into a routine. He's filling out forms, signing things, will probably get to be head of the Merchants Association next year, and he hasn't designed a stamp in months. He's so bored, in fact, that he's taken to climbing the walls of the post office and breaking into his own office. Lord Vetinari, always brilliant in his ruthlessness, recognizes an opportunity when he sees one, and offers Moist the job of running the royal mint. Moist tries to refuse, pretending that he's satisfied with the stable life, but he can't deny the urge for adventure and intrigue for long. The mint is, in the finest Ankh-Morpork tradition, a strange and oddly old-fashioned place, with bizarre traditions so ingrained the long-term employees can't imagine doing them any other way. Moist is the perfect innovator, with his wildly creative solutions to problems, for changing the way the entire city thinks about money. In the transition from the gold standard and old money, Pratchett brings up all the details that make Ankh-Morpork one of the most satisfying contemporary fantasy cities and continues in his trend of beautifully crafted, wickedly cutting satire on the underpinnings of modern human society. Making Money is smart, funny, and a thoroughly entertaining read. Schroeder, Regina



I like Pratchetts books. They are witty, engaging, and just plain fun. The Guards series in particular is excellent. This one, left me...wanting. I found myself getting agitated instead of being able to just sit and enjoy it like I usually do. I found Moist a bit on the annoying side as he pings from disaster to disaster. I found the bad guys irritating because there simply wasn't enough, I dunno, badness? They were never really all that bad in my opinion. Mr. Bent started out really neat, and because of potential spoilers, I will say he became annoying too. Perhaps it was because there was just too much going on and it was all frantic, rather than the focus Pratchett usually has.

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

My reaction was that Moist spends much of the book running around and shouting, which wasn't really very interesting.

I also didn't really care for the parts with his girlfriend, Miss Dearheart, but I don't like her anyway.

Popular Posts