Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Knitting Project #13 - K4's Scarf, Hat, and Mittens



I have been working on this project in stages since December. She bought a new coat in November and requested new accessories to go with it. I did warn her there were other projects in front of her but that I would try my best to get them done. We settled on an antique rose pink to compliment the the deep maroon in her jacket.


The hat and scarf came together very quickly and so it was with great optimism I started the mittens. Mitten #1 went okay. There were a couple new techniques involved but I felt I did alright. Upon binding off the mitten proper with only the thumb remaining, I decided that my first attempt warranted re-doing. The instructions given for increasing the stitches left little ladder holes which I did not particularly care for. Since this was also a first attempt at working in the round completely with DPS I had loose rows where the stitch changed needles. I didn’t like that either. The pattern had been easy enough to do so I resolved to make a second mitten then redo the first.





Well, I ripped apart mitten #2 no less than five - count them! 5 times! It was little things: I counted wrong, I increased in the wrong spot, I somehow added additional rows, etc. On the positive side, I did learn how to keep a nice snug stitch and not get those little ladders between needles, and I found a way to increase that makes a nice tight seam. Still, I was left very frustrated as I wanted to give her the whole set while we still had snow on the ground. Oh well, that's how projects go sometimes.





Hat Pattern: Ann Norling "Head Huggers" by Gail Tanquary
Yarn: Cascade Yarns, Color #2449, Lot #5629
Gauge: #7


Scarf Pattern: Theresa Gaffey Designs #52 "Basic Beginner Scarves"
Yarn: Cascade Yarns, Color #2449, Lot #5629
Gauge: #8


Mitten Pattern: Fittin' Mittens, Mitts that Fit by Nancy Lindberg
Yarn: Cascade Yarns, Color #2440, Lot 5629
Guage: #8 and #6 DPS

I will have to have her send a picture of the project with the coat.

No comments:

Popular Posts