Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Recipe Review for 4/21/08

Our recipe count is going much better this month. We've had a bit more downtime to not only think a week ahead, but time to make some great dishes as well. I also need to report back from my "messes and successes" post a week ago that the homemade yogurt did not turn out and down the drain it went. I'll make a new batch this weekend and pay more attention to what I am doing!


Halibut Sandwiches with Tartar Sauce (Ckng Lght Apr 08, pg182) 4.0
These were similar to the Oven-fried Catfish sandwiches I made the week before. The difference was the halibut had no coating and I grilled it. Have you tried grilled halibut yet? Oh my, delicious. Absolutely delicious. I did lightly season the halibut with salt, pepper and a splash of olive oil. The tartar sauce was mayo, sweet relish, and chopped capers. I lightly toasted a baguette loaf I had cut into fish-sized buns, slathered the mayo on and topped with fish and lettuce. I forgot the tomato, but it was still delicious. I served with sea salt and vinegar chips. I would make these again because they were so yummy and quick.


Creamy Tomato Sauce with Penne (Cooks Illustrated, May/June 08, pg14) 4.5
This was excellent! And extra points were awarded for ease of assembly and preparation. Finely diced onion, pancetta and a bay leaf were sauteed til golden in a couple tablespoons of butter. Minced garlic was added and quick seared. Tomato paste and a half cup of wine was added for a quick reduction and then a partial can of crushed tomatoes added to that. The spices were salt and crushed hot pepper. Then this was set aside to simmer, which was plenty of time to bring a pot of water to boil and cook the penne. I served this with a salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a bit of warmed baguette (leftover from the halibut). This was me: mmmmmmm...


Trout Pasties with Dill Pesto (Mpls Star Tribune, April 10, 2008) 4.0
This was the Hubbies dish for the week in another attempt to use up some of the lake trout in our freezer and to find another dish where I’ll find said lake trout palatable. For those of you who might just be tuning in, about the only fish I’m not exactly thrilled to eat is Lake Superior Lake Trout.

And we had a winner! A pre-made piecrust is rolled out and cut into little pieces. The trout is cubed and set on each piece and is topped with a dollup of dill pesto. I believe the “pesto” consisted of mayo, garlic, lemon juice and dill, all pureed together which is then placed on each piece of pie and trout. This is all enclosed in a nice little packet. These are popped into the oven and cooked for about 20-25 minutes or until the little packets turn golden brown. Served with a side of the leftover dill pesto and sprinkled with grated Parmesan, these were just the right thing for the rich trout. We have more trout in the freezer and an extra pie crust...the hubby will have to make these again! Lucky me!

No comments:

Popular Posts