Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2008

Recipe review from 4/28/08

Look! It's Spring!



Slower week for recipes - we went out for dinner on Saturday and I was concentrating on eating up leftovers. Plus Hubby brought home a frozen pizza one night (locally made - we like to support the local folks) so there was another meal.

Interesting...both soups this week!

Velvety Squash Soup (Ckng Lght Annual 2008, pg 342) 3.5
I had ONE squash left in the basement from last years harvest. Yes, it is so! Can you believe it? Neither can I. I thought for certain the inside would be all oogie.but it was still good. Because of it’s age, I decided soup would be the best venue and dug through my various cookbooks and found this recipe and modified it slightly. I cubed the squash and diced the onion, tossed everything with some olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted for about an hour. Meanwhile, I got the chicken broth heating up on the stove and when it came out of the oven I tossed in the pot with the red pepper, curry pepper and a couple other seasonings. In hindsight, the seasonings would have been better added during the roasting for fuller flavor. When seasonings and squash had melded, I blended everything (LOVE my immersion blender) and added some half and half. Warm soup was perfect for the chilly week of rain.



Hot and Sour Soup (Cooks Illustrated Jan/Feb 06, pg 13) 4.0
I’ve had this on the menu for about three weeks now but for one reason or another, it just never got made until now. Granted, I forgot the shitake mushrooms, but that just gives me and excuse to make it again. It’s a combination of mushrooms, tofu, thinly sliced pork, bamboo shoots all simmered in a lightly thickened chicken broth. The sour comes from a splash of balsamic and red wine vinegar and the hot is optional. I didn’t have chili oil, so I stirred in some chili garlic sauce in a bowl-by-bowl basis. Tasty, a bit of heat to warm the tongue and tummy and nicely filling. I really liked this soup and would make it again.

2 comments:

Emily Adamson said...

We're hosting a mushroom recipe contest and would love for you to submit your recipe (w/o forgetting the 'shooms!). The winner will receive 2 lbs. of fresh, morel mushrooms! Entries can be submitted to http://marxfoods.com (contest link is under the Kobe burger)

Kristin said...

Thanks for the invite Em, but since it is a Cooks Illustrated recipe that I really didn't alter (except for forgetting the 'shrooms), I wouldn't feel right submitting it. :)

Popular Posts