Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2008

Recipe Review from 6/16/08

The corn and bean tamale pie from the previous recipe posting lasted *forever* so not much new was made this past week for dinners. Had decent luck with a angel food cake and a hummus recipe that was fantastic.



Vanilla Bean Angel Food Cake (Ckng Lght Annual 2007, pg 67) 3.5
I had somehow ended up with two dozen eggs and needed a way to reduce the lovely little orbs. I stumbled across this recipe and had all the ingredients on hand. Angel food cakes are so easy to make: beat egg whites to soft peaks, add sugar, cream of tartar and flour. Bake and let cool. I did have trouble incorporating the flour/sugar/vanilla bean mixture. Recipe called to fold it in and I wish I had just whipped it for a more even texture.

The vanilla flavor was very subtle, soft sweet note on the tongue that almost eluded notice. I'm not certain I cared for that. And I had problems with the cake becoming somewhat gooey where it sat on the plate. Still, it was tasty and went well with berries and whip cream.

Hummus (Cooks Illustrated, May/June 2008) 5.0 !!!
This. Was. Fantastic. Incredible, in fact. Silky. Smooth. Tangy. Just a little texture from the beans. And so EASY to make: mix water and lemon juice. Mix tamari with olive oil. Grind beans and garlic in food processor. Scrape. Add water and lemon juice while mixer is running. Scrape. Add tamari mixture while mixer is running. Scrape down, blend once more. Let stand 30 minutes for flavors to develop (or in my case overnight). I had this on whole grain bread with lettuce and sprouts for lunch. Did I mention this was really good? It;s really, really, good...



Spicy Stir Fry with Tofu, Snowpeas, Tahini and Mushrooms (Ckng Lght, Jan/Feb 08, pg 122) 4.5
I made this for lunch on Sunday. I had the ingredients last weekend, but was perplexed by the request for "Tamari". I thought this was a paste and was searching for several weeks at my local Cub and Co-op. It was at the co-op where a very helpful gal revealed to me that it is basically soy sauce. Well, I *have* that.

AND! After my last fiasco in frying tofu, I received a couple helpful tips to "fry" my tofu in a non-greased/oiled pan. I tried this technique today and IT WORKED GREAT! Such a simple thing to do.

Anyway, "fry" tofu and set aside. Add some (peanut) oil to the pan and add: snow peas, red pepper, garlic, ginger, green onion and water. Saute until steamed-crisp. Add a mixture of water, soy sauce, tahini (this was my sub for peanut butter) and Siracha sauce (for zing). Add tofu back in and stir until thick. I served over rice. This served two of us comfortably with enough left for one person for lunch. I would make this recipe again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kristin,

To answer your question on my blog --- I don't use kits. I buy the towels at JoAnn's or similar type stores and the patterns are bought separately OR they are sometimes in cross stitch magazines.

The towels are Charles Craft Huck Kitchen towels. When you look for patterns make sure they are for "huck" towels. That way the pattern will fit properly in the rectangle of aida.

There are many books specifically for these towels. Leisure Arts prints many of them. They also can be found at your LNS or Joann's type places.

Hope this helps.

Popular Posts