Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2008

Recipe Review week of 5/26/08

I finished the month of May with three new recipes making May's total recipes twelve. I'm happy with that.

In other news, the garden is in! For some folks out there that seems really late but for my growing area, that's normal. Anything before Memorial day is too early and runs the risk of getting nailed by frost. If the garden is in by June 1, and the weather cooperates, we should have be harvesting by September. On the other end, right around Sept 15 is when we can start thinking first killing frost. Kinda sucks.

The last three recipes were for a Venezuelan Vegetarian meal that came together very quickly:



Venezuelan White Rice (Ckng Lght, June 08, pg 172) 4.0
I halved this recipe as the original amounts served six and I didn't want that much leftover rice. Onion, red pepper and garlic were sauteed, then the water and rice added to that and brought to a boil and left to simmer for 15-20 minutes. I love rice because you can just set it aside when it's done and it stay's warm till serving time. This rice had good flavor from the veggies. Next time I would consider using chicken broth instead of water for added depth of flavor.

Simple Black Beans (Ckng Lght, June 08, pg 172) 4.0
You just can't go wrong with a rice and beans dish, and I happen to love anything with black beans in it. I also loved the simplicity of this as well. I also halved this right off the top - another serves six and I didn't want that much leftovers. Once again, saute onion, red pepper and garlic. Add some brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cumin. Add beans. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

Sauteed Plantains (Ckng Lght, June 08, pg 172) 4.0
Several years ago (I think it was our trip to Cozumel) I realized I really, really like cooked plantains (and banana's too for that matter). And this dish just couldn't get any simpler! Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add sliced plantains and cook till golden brown. Add a splash of salt and serve with the rice and beans. Yum! The Husband and I did note that the not-quite ripe plantains were a bit on the starchy side, so plan ahead for this dish to allow the plantains time to ripen. Oh! And these are the yellow-with-black-spots plantains, not the all brown ones.

I would make this meal again - simple, tasty and good for you!

No comments:

Popular Posts