Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2008

Recipe Review week of 6/2/08

Well, first Winter wouldn't end, now Springs seems to wants to make up for time lost and is hanging on as well. For us here near the Canadian border, it's gearing up to be a cool, wet summer (that is if spring ever relinquishes it's reign).

A couple of good recipes from the past week. I'll probably be making most of these again.



Biscuits (Cooks Illustrated, July/Aug 08, pg 23) 4.0
I pulled this recipe from the peach shortcake recipe - not a lot of peaches 'round here, but a plethora of rhubarb and strawberries. These were super quick to make and are my idea of the perfect shortcake. Nubbly, crumbly, with just a hint of sweetness. Recipe make 6 generous sized cakes - could easily be halved to make smaller ones, just adjust the baking time accordingly. I topped mine off with ice cream and the rhubarb sauce I reviewed last Monday.



Asian Chicken Salad (Ckng Lght, June 08, pg 196) 4.0
Very tasty and easy to make. This was a solo dinner so I modified the recipe just a tich - I made the dressing and kept it separate; I subbed broccoli slaw for the matchstick carrots; I used a rotisserie chicken; and I used just one kind of lettuce. Prep lettuce, toss on the shredded chicken, add the snowpea pods and broccoli slaw, sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and serve. That's all. In my opinion, the Asian dressing (soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and honey) really brings it all together. Would make a great picnic salad.

Pan Roasted Halibut with Tomatoes and Gnocchi (Every Day with RR, Sept 07) 4.0
I really enjoyed the simplicty and taste of this dish. Combine cherry tomatoes, minced garlic and shallot in a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Bake 25 minutes or until tomatoes explode. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the gnocchi. Here's where I deviated just a bit - I heated a skillet with just a bit of olive oil. I pan seared my halibut fillet on each side, then transfered to the oven to finish baking while I finished the gnocchi.



When the gnocchi has finished cooking, drain, and add butter to the pan. Add fresh chopped chives and organo (my substitution for tarragon) and the gnocchi. Saute briefly to combine flavors. Serve tomatoes over fish and gnocchi alongside. On the table in 30 minutes. Yum-O!

No comments:

Popular Posts