Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Call of the Cthulhu and other Wierd Stories


This was my Scifi book group’s selection for October. I was quietly hoping we'd pick Dracula as we read Lovecraft last year for October, but the size of Dracula put some people off.

This anthology was much better than The Thing on the Doorstep and other Weird Stories. Or maybe I was just more open to this genre this year. Whatever the case, I found this selection of short stories to be rather interesting and fascinating. There are always exceptions, of course - a couple of the stories seemed to me more streams of consciousness than an actual story. But out of the 15 or so, it was only a couple so-so ones.

I was especially looking forward to the Call of the Cthulhu and found that one disappointing. But at least now I have educated myself a bit on the whole "Cthulu" cult bit that keeps showing up at various scifi conventions.

I would recommend this short story selection - it's a fascinating look at early horror from a master. And take time to read the notes at the back of the book, I found those just as fascinating as the stories themselves.

No comments:

Popular Posts