Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

Dracula by Bram Stoker

I've recently discovered books on tape and grabbed this one as a) I was going to be spending some time in the car and b) I hadn't read it yet. I have been trying to catch up on some of the "classics" that I feel I should have read. This was an unabridged version of Dracula, 18 hours long with 15 CD's.

I don't think I'll review the plot as it's so widely known, but expound on the reading.

It was, to put it simply, amazing. The two readers had a way of bringing each and every character to life with subtle inflections in mannerisms and speech. Though, I must admit it was amusing to hear an "American" accent as done by a Brit, but it worked. The listener knew it was Quincy, knew it was VanHelsing, knew it was Johnathon Harker. The emotions rolled out and drew the listener in to the joys, the terror and the dismay of the characters. So much so I would find myself missing exits or driving below the speed limit!

There were a few expositions that got a bit long, but I think having them read, with the intonation of emotion behind the words, made those longer passages more palatable and quickly over. I must say, I was rather sad when the last CD was done. I really enjoyed each and every chapter on my way to and from work. It's going to be difficult to find something to read after such an awesome book.

No comments:

Popular Posts