Search This Blog

Monday, September 29, 2008

Recipe Review from 9/22/08

This was "The Week" - The Mom's 60th birthday party and the Parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary party. I had initially planned a Greek Menu - I was going to do tabboli, an eggplant and chickpea dish, beef and chicken skewers with taziki sauce, roasted red pepper hummus with pita wedges, a Greek salad and baklava. I felt this would work for our families vegetarians, the allergies and meat eaters and would just be darn fun.

But then I received the Sept issue of Ckng Lght and there was a slew of Chili recipes. Doubts, angst and second thoughts crept in...yup, two weeks out I changed the menu.

So for the big night and nine people we gathered and enjoyed a Fall Chili Menu:

The Husbands Chunky Beef Chili
White Chili (chicken) Ckng Lght Sept 08
Zesty Wheat Berry and Black Bean Chili (vegetarian) Eating Well, Mar/Apr 07

Autumn Salad Ckng Lght
Cornbread Cooks Illustrated
Crackers
Bread sticks

Apple pie
Carrot Cake Cupcakes Ckng Lght Annual 06, pg 123
Penzey's Apple Bread Penzey's Catalog - Fall 05?


Only the White Chili was new. The Husband's Chili has been one he's been making for oh, years and years. I made the Wheat Berry Chili back in 07 and really enjoyed it for it's bright flavors.

White Chili (Ckng Lght Sept 08, pg 82)4.0
This was super simple to make. Onion and garlic are sauteed till soft. Chicken thighs are added to the pan and brought to a boil then the thighs are simmered until done - about 15 minutes or so. I subbed thighs for breasts, a bit cheaper for feeding a group. The thighs are removed from the broth, to which 2 tbsp of cornmeal and a can of white beans (I used great northern because I had a can on hand) are added. This makes the broth nice and thick. The thighs are diced and added back in. That's it! Top with your favorite toppings.


I also made this dish midweek. Super good!
Slow cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans (Ckng Lght BB c/o Everyday Foods Nov 07) 4.5
A slow cooker dish doesn't get much simpler than this - or as versatile! In a slow cooker I combined one cup of dried beans, one cup water, a jar of salsa (I chose green salsa), chipolte in adobo sauce, chicken thighs (cheap! cheap!) sliced red onion and a sliced sweet pepper of choice. Cover and cook slowly for 6-8 hours -depending on your slow cooker and adding a tich more liquid if necessary.

Based on comments on the BB, I only used two chipoltes and it was plenty spicy. The recipe was also noted as serving 4, but I know that with a side of rice, I had easily 4 meals. I did freeze one tub for a later date. Oh, and I heated up some corn tortillas and made little tacos/burritos. But really, a person could do just about anything with the mixture, it's that good and versatile.

No comments:

Popular Posts