Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Knitting Project #20/21: Sherbrooke Cowl

The parents gave me a gift certificate to The Fiber Works in Superior, WI, last Holiday season and before I left for Denver in August I decided to grab a few skeins of yarn for the trip. I bought this yarn for me with this pattern in mind: Sherbrooke Cowl by Lollyknitting Around.

For being such a simple pattern: Rnd 1 - K5 P5; Rnd 2 - K2 P2; I was certainly unknitting quite a bit! I frogged out the initial start probably about 4 times - the initial cast on created a rather small tube and I had grave concerns about it even fitting over my head. So I kept casting on, knitting, and ripping out. Final cast-on I think was 90sts.

And this was not a good pattern for socializing or listening to panels. I found if I wasn't keeping close track to my counting, I invariably would need to backtrack to the offending stitches and continue on. I did A LOT of backtracking.



I don't think this yarn wanted to be a cowl, or at least this particular cowl. I am not satisfied with the end results. It was way too long at the recommended 18" and I felt there were too many mistakes that show now that it is done. I will probably be frogging this one out and doing something else with the yarn.

However, I did make sister K4 this cowl with some leftover yarn from her mitten and scarf set from last spring. This one turned out perfect! It was a lovely length at about 12" or so and the pattern just clicked. I did keep the cast on at 90 stitches as the recommended cast on of 60 sts was still way to narrow. I look forward to giving this to her to add to her fashion accessories.



Pattern: Sherbrooke Cowl by LollyKnitting Around
Needles: #8 dps
Yarn: Araucania 100% Wool (www.araucaniayarns.com)

No comments:

Popular Posts