Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Holiday recount & Happy New Year!

Now that the gift giving part of the holidays is past, I can post about my endeavors. This year I went super simple and the recipients received: wild rice in the re-usable gift bags, homemade vanilla, and a variety of dishcloths. I underestimated how much vanilla was needed and only had enough for 6-4oz jars.



I’ll start with the vanilla: last January I made my “starter” and kept it super simple – just vanilla beans and vodka, no sugar. I let this sit all year and bottled it up in these lovely little 4 oz brown jars. It smelled wonderful. I think I let everyone know that I would refill it for them when they run out.

The wild rice I blogged about here. What a fun item to share! And because I brain-farted typing up cooking instructions, here they are: ½ cup rice to about 2 cups water or broth. Cook about 30 minutes or until kernels have “popped” and are nice and tender. Drain off excess water and let stand covered for a few moments. Serve or cool and freeze for a later recipe.

Dishcloths. I made everyone at least two and I tried to pick colors that would compliment kitchens or personal tastes. So that ends up being about 10 total. I used these patterns from Leisure Arts Kifty Knit Dishcloths: Simple Diamonds and Basic Cable and Leisure Arts Kitchen Bright Bee Stitch. I pretty much have the Basic Cable and Bee Stitch memorized so I can keep a little skein of Sugar and Cream and a pair of size 6 needles in a little bag that can travel with me.




Every thing was packaged up in a nice little holiday box that I found at Michael's Crafts.




As for myself, I was the happy recipient of the 2009 Cooking Light Annual (and I have all of my notes from the magazines already transferred!), Harney and Son’s Guide to Tea by Michael Harney, a beautiful skein of wool/bamboo sock yarn, a lovely selection of loose leaf teas, a couple of gift certificates, and some soy candles, confections, homemade soap and cute magnets (which are already at work).

My youngest sister and her husband made a CD with everyone's favorite songs. When we got together, we had to guess who picked what song. Much to my surprise, I won with 7 out of 12 right! She then gave everyone a copy of the CD, with pictures on the cover of notable family events from 2008. Way cool.

Thank you everyone!

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your little gift bags turned out cute. I'm sure everyone will LOVE the vanilla.

I made two kinds this year. One is made with vodka and the other with bourbon.

I did rum vanilla last year. That is REALLY good in banana bread.

Popular Posts