Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Split Rock River Snowshoe Hike

Icicles along the bank

Possibly the last snowshoe hike of the season. My friend and I were contemplating doing the Superior Hiking Trails guided hike, but we decided we wanted to do our own thing and bring the hounds. And so it was we met at 9:00 at his place, loaded up the dogs and headed up the North Shore of Lake Superior.

We ended up at the Split Rock River Loop/wayside. The loop trail itself is 5.0 miles and we discussed hiking up one side then coming down the river, but in the end we did the river. With other people using the trail and three active dogs, it's best to give them room to run elsewhere.

Cody, Kia, and Ben

I think we got on the trail about 11ish - we stopped off in Two Harbors for a munchie and to look at the Harbor and orr docks. Then we got talking and missed our river and ended up in Taconite Harbor and checked out the safe harbor there. Once we realized the error of our ways, we headed back down the road and got suited up.

You couldn't have asked for a better day. The sky was an incredible bright blue, the weather started about 25* and I think it got up to about *35. Snow conditions were fantastic - the snow did "go" after about 1:00, but all that did was slow the hounds down a bit.

Had one heart clutching moment - my Ben likes to climb up. I don't know why, but he wants to go up things. Well, he found a way "up" and knowing he was out of my sight I whistled for him to come back. Gosh DARN if the little guy didn't come off the SIDE of the bank! I watched him fall (leap?) 16 feet! I thought my day was over right there.

He was fine. It didn't even slow him down.



We took a picture of where he came off we were so amazed. Ben came down from the splotch of snow straight above my friends head.




Waterfalls to climb up (and down!)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lordy, that was quite a drop! Glad Ben is okay.

Beautiful pictures.

Popular Posts