Search This Blog

Friday, June 12, 2009

Recipe Review from 6/1/09

Well, I had a new record last month: I made only 2 recipes the entire month of May! Shocking, I know. That is almost unheard of for me! It wasn't that I was lazy; I had a lot going on, plus a trip to Grand Marais, and I was doing a bit of a pantry clean out. The cupboards aren't quite bare but there is less than before. But this month is starting off a bit better for me.

Well...sort of. I attempted to make some raspberry scones Sunday morning but when the came out of the oven I realized something was amiss. I then remembered I forgot to add the baking powder. Bother. Into the trash they went!

Wheat Berry Salad (CkngLght, June 09, pg 164) 4.0
I loosely followed the recipe on this one - they made it a lot more time consuming than necessary. What is the fascination with cutting up your own artichokes? Obviously freshness, but for me it is a matter of time. I am already often eating dinner at 8:30 at night and I don't want to be putzing around with cutting and chopping when I can skip right to the cooking. So I subbed frozen artichokes. I also cooked the wheat berries as I usually do totally skipping the whole soaking bit just fine - 4 cups water to 1 cup berries, bring to a boil and simmer for one hour. Add water as necessary.

This dish can also easily be made Vegan by omitting the procuitto, or be jazzed up a bit with some added feta. It was tasty warm, and tasty at room temp for lunch the next day. It made 4 servings as noted.

Wheat Berry Salad
Yield
4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked wheat berries (hard winter wheat)
5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 medium artichokes
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
Cooking spray
1 (1-ounce) prosciutto slice, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons jarred roasted kalamata olives, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

Preparation
1. Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Cover; let stand 8 hours. Drain. Place wheat berries in a saucepan; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain.

2. Preheat oven to 450°.

3. Combine 2 teaspoons juice and 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Trim about 2 inches from the top of each artichoke; cut artichokes in half horizontally. Brush cut sides with juice mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Arrange artichokes, cut sides up, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Turn artichokes; bake 15 minutes or until artichokes are browned and tender. Cool slightly. Peel stem; trim an additional 1/2 inch from the top. Discard outer leaves. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon; quarter artichoke hearts.

4. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in prepared wheat berries, remaining 1 tablespoon juice, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, artichokes, olives, parsley, chives, and rosemary. Serve warm or at room temperature.




Summer Herb Relish with Halibut (Vegetarian Times, May/June 09) 3.0
The "relish" is from VT, the fish was my idea. The relish is part of a dish I plan on making later in the week - grilled eggplant. Yum! Anyway, the relish is a mixture of parsley, oregano, capers, pinenuts, olive oil, wine vinegar and water all blended together "until smooth". I think I should have added a bit more olive oil because while it was "smooth" it really clumped together and wasn't very spreadable per se.

Like I said, this is from a recipe for grilled eggplant, to which I will be adding goat cheese and probably balsamic vinegar (my idea).


Also on deck are some Mexican Sopas (think little pizza's) with corn and zucchini and possibly a Rhubarb Strusel Bread. The rhubarb is HUGE this year and is need of some thinning. Lucky me!

No comments:

Popular Posts