Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Garden Update

I can safely say that this is going to be one of the more unsuccessful years for a vegetable garden. With daytime temperatures that have stubbornly refused to go above 70* and nighttime temps consistently at 50*, it really doesn't make for a good growing year.

However, it has been good for the peas, brussel sprouts, lettuce, some of my herbs, and Swiss chard. It remains to be seen how the dried beans, tomatoes, peppers and zucchini do. Winter squash and corn are a bust.



On the other hand, it has been a delightful year for the flowers. They are still lush and full. Sunflowers are struggling a bit - they too like hot weather, but there is still time...maybe...



And I have been very busy with a yard project (other than mowing). I have started a retaining wall on the north side of my garage. It was initiated as a "lawn reduction program" (I didn't want to keep mowing this bit). Back in May I went out and purchased 275 stone blocks (woot! they were even on sale the day I bought them!) and a couple weeks ago a co-worker came out and we got a good start in laying about 12 feet down. My Dad came out a different day and we plunked down another 12 feet. I have about 15 feet left to put down, but that part of the wall will only be a couple of blocks high.



Kia checking out the new blocks.

Then the rains came...3" worth, and I discovered I had some erosion issues. Erosion control consisted of building a set of smalls steps. Subsequent rain has proven the effectiveness of this endeavor.



Stay tuned for more garden updates as we move into Fall!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow --- that really IS a cool summer. I have to say though, I'm a little envious!

Gail O'Connor said...

Love the photo of Kia. I have gotten two small Roma tomatoes from my garden so far, and the cucumber plant looks like it may start producing around the time the frost comes. Not a good year for gardening, but I still love the cool summer.

Popular Posts