Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Recipe Review from 6/29/09

Well, I certainly am not on any pace to match past years for number of recipes; oh well. I figure as long as I'm still cooking I'm doing pretty good. I was able to fit in a couple more new recipes after I got back from Texas. I was in a mood for some nice, light, summerish dishes and then the temps dropped down to 46* at night and highs were in the 50's...just not salad weather

Bulger Salad with Edamame and Tomatoes (Ckng Lght, June 09, pg 70) 4.0

I linked to the recipe above; and posted my changes in the version below. This was a simple and tasty "salad" to make. This made a perfect lunch with some pita chips on the side. I did wait till morning when assembling lunch to add the tomatoes. This is similar to a tabouli salad and I know that becomes a bit runny when the tomatoes are added too soon. And then the tomatoes get...oogie (for lack of a better word) when they sit to long in a salad.



The vitamin C from lemon juice aids iron absorption. Round out the meal with grilled chicken, lemony hummus, and toasted 100 percent whole-wheat pita wedges. Substitute fresh shelled fava beans for edamame, if you like. Fava beans also supply protein, fiber, and B vitamins.

Yield
6 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked bulgur
1 cup boiling water
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans)
1 pound yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
1. Combine bulgur and 1 cup boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 1 hour or until bulgur is tender.

2. Cook edamame in boiling water 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Add edamame, and remaining ingredients to bulgur; toss well. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

My notes - add tomatoes before serving.


Mediterranean Salmon Antipasto Salad (Eating Well, J/A 09, pg 20) 3.5
I changed this one up quite a bit - the magazine had all the warnings about eating tuna "not more than x servings per week, don't eat if pregnant, etc" and I thought, "Well then, why not sub salmon and get all the omega-3's without all the mercury?" So I did. I also had some arugula/baby spinach mix on hand from the grilled brie sandwiches (that lettuce mix lasts a LONG time in the fridge!) and I thought that added a nice bite to what otherwise is a rather bland salad. You can also use any bean that grabs your fancy, I happened to have some cannelli beans on hand so I used those. Again, recipe is linked to above, my changes are noted below.


Packed with protein and fiber, this and bean salad is ready in a flash. Serve with warm, crusty bread or pack it in a pita for a sandwich. For an extra kick, add a pinch of crushed red pepper or cayenne.

Makes 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME: 25 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 15- to 19-ounce can beans, such as chickpeas, black-eyed peas or kidney beans, rinsed
2 5- to 6-ounce vacuum pkg salmon, flaked
1/2 large red bell pepper, finely diced
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
4 teaspoons capers, rinsed
1/2 teaspoons finely chopped dried rosemary
1/4 cup lemon juice, (can use less even...)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 cups mixed salad greens

Combine beans, salmon, bell pepper, onion, parsley, capers, rosemary, lemon juice and olive oil in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Place salad greens on plate or bowl and serve tuna mixture over the top.



Summer Vegetable Stacks with Gremolata (Vegetarian Times, J/A 09, pg 44)
I've been enjoying the VT magazine, but my one BIG complaint is they don't have the recipes from the magazine on the website for me to link to. And their search engine is atrocious. Very annoying.

Irritation aside, this was...okay. I've had much better - I think it was a Ckng Lght recipe from last year that was pretty similar and outstanding. This was vegetable slices and tofu, grilled (or in my case broiled, it was 50* out and misting) with the gremolata spread over the top. I found the gremolata to be overpowering and it took forever to get the taste of garlic out of my mouth. Seriously. I could still taste it the next morning!


Freezing tofu the night (or up to one month) before you cook it gives it a firmer, cherwier texture that's less likely to fall apart on the grill. Feel free to experiment with different grilled summer veggies when building these stacks.

No comments:

Popular Posts