Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Garden Update

With Summer drawing to it’s languid conclusion, I’ve been busy busy busy trying to wrap up various yard projects and still have a bit of fun. Much to my surprise, despite our very cool summer, my garden has done all right.

I pulled out the peas a couple of weeks ago as powdery mildew was taking over and they were mostly done anyway. My zucchini has been coming on nicely; not so much that I’m overwhelmed, but enough that I can have some and give some away. The corn is ready to eat right now and I grilled a couple cobs on Sunday night when I had the parents out for dinner. Tomatoes are slow to ripen, even with my makeshift green house. The swiss chard is absolutely fantastic and I’m wondering when I should be picking my brussel sprouts and how.





Since the garden can be left alone to do it’s thing these days, I’ve been busy with a couple landscape projects: a retaining/decorative wall along the north side of my garage and a smaller decorative wall along my front lawn.

The Greater Wall, as I am calling it, is basically finished. I’m waiting for the sand to settle behind the blocks before I put down landscape fabric and rocks. The whole wall is about 40 feet long and has little steps on the far end.





The Lesser Wall is completely finished – that was my Labor Day weekend project.
To date, between the two walls, approximately 250 blocks have been moved in this endeavor and probably about 5 yards of sand.



But lest all that seems relatively dull, we had some further excitement:



Yes. A skunk. He showed up one morning and hung around for an hour. Not good when I need to leave for work and the two hounds need to pee before being kenneled. Then he was back the next day. Dogs and skunks are a bad combination; beside the obvious potential for being sprayed, skunks can be a carrier for rabies. The last think I wanted was a dog-skunk encounter. So the not-so-little skunk needed to be removed from the area. Two weeks after our first sighting, he was caught in a live trap and taken away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, once you have the skunk in the trap, how do you move the trap without getting sprayed???? YIKES!

He was a BIG skunk too.

Glad to see the garden did well. We are still having blasting heat! I wish it would cool off here.

Karl A. said...

The walls look great! Can't wait to see them in person.

To help the sand compaction, use the end of a 4x4 and stop it down. To naturally settle takes a long time...

Popular Posts