Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Recipe Review from 9/21/09

Okay, get your printers and/or pencils ready, this past weeks recipes were AWESOME!

I did Indian this week: Aloo Palak, basmati rice and pineapple lassi's. Heaven, simply heaven. And so simple too! Just two noteable changes to the Aloo Palak: I decreased the spices (which I did note below) because the amounts given just seemed like overkill, especially if you are using Penzey's spices. And I decreased the coconut milk as I didn't want soup. Creamy yes, runny no.

I served this over basmati rice and I winged this part: it was about 1/3 cup rinsed basmati rice to about 1 cups water (these are approximate amts as I really didn't measure). Put rinsed rice in ovenproof baking dish that has been lightly coated with oil; boil the water, add to rice. Cover tightly and bake for 45 mintues along with Aloo Palak. PLEASE NOTE: This only makes about 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice. It was all I had on hand...



Aloo Palak (Vegetarian Times, Sept 09)
2 10-oz. pkgs. frozen spinach, thawed and drained, liquid reserved
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups) (I used 4 small yellow potatoes)
2 Tbs. garlic powder (I used 1 Tbs)
2 Tbs. curry powder (I used 1 Tbs)
1 tsp. ground cumin (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 tsp. salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
3/4 cup light coconut milk (I used 1/2 cup)

1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Stir together spinach, 3/4 cup spinach liquid, potatoes, garlic powder, curry powder, cumin, and salt in 9-inch square baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 45 minutes.
2. Remove from oven. Stir in coconut milk, and transfer to serving bowl.



And lastly, the Pineapple Lassi. Oh, be still my beating heart! Modifcations here were I didn't used canned crushed pineapple - I had cut up a fresh one for my Green Smoothies so I just tossed in what I thought was comparable. I also cut the ingredients by 1/3 so I made just one serving instead of three.

My first lassi turned out runny, and recipe says it would be, so second lassi I upped the ice and added frozen mango chunks for a nice thick refreshing drink. Play around with this recipe to suit your tastes, it really is good.

Pineapple Lassi (Ckng Lght, Oct 2009)
A frothy South Indian yogurt-based beverage, lassi often contains seasonal fruit and spices. This recipe yields a drink that's a bit thinner than the average smoothie.

Yield: 3 servings (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients
2 cups vanilla low-fat yogurt
1 cup canned crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger (such as Spice World)
6 ice cubes

Preparation
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender; process until well blended. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Popular Posts