Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2009

Recipe Review from 11/16/09

Oh my goodness, if you are living up here in the Midwest, hasn't this been a FANTASTIC November? Temperatures up here in Duluth have been between 45 and 50* (warmer in the Twin Cities) and days filled with beautiful fall sunshine. A great reprieve from the dreary, cold and wet October we had. Though sadly, the weatherman says this warm weather is going to move out of the area come Monday and we will have closer to normal temps in the 30's.

I have been dreadfully busy of late which has affected my book reviews and knitting. I am reading two books at the moment: In the Court of the Crimson Kings by S.M.Stirling and Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark. Crimson Kings is for book group in December and Strange/Norrell is one of three Hugo winners I have left off of the novel category on the complete Hugo winner list.

Last weekend found me in the Cities for an Anusara yoga workshop. It was a good weekend, I met a great gal from Grand Marais and the weather was lovely. Session focused on a lot of technique so I'm still not sure exactly how an Anusara class is structured.

This past weekend we had an early Thanksgiving with the Brother (K3) and his family. So much fun to play with the nieces! Miss A is 3 and Miss L is 1. Miss L is on the move and getting into EVERYTHING! Both are cute as a couple of buttons!

And despite everything going on, I have two more recipes to report on. One was quick and tasty, the other a complete flop.


Shrimp Saltimbocca with Polenta (Eating Well, Nov/Dec 09) 3.0
If you buy peeled and deveined shrimp, this comes together very quickly. This dish encompassed such simplicity that I didn't even do any substitutions. As suggested, I did use chicken broth instead of clam juice. Do pay attention while broiling the proscuitto though, it will go from toasty to burned rather quickly! I had two meals out of this, with leftover polenta.

(Photo from CookingLight.com)


Shrimp Saltimbocca with Polenta
1 16- to 18-ounce tube polenta, cut into 8 rounds
1 thin slice prosciutto (about 1/2 ounce)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/4 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21-25 per pound)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons finely diced onion
3/4 cup clam juice (see Note) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage or 3/4 teaspoon dried rubbed

1) Position rack in center of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2)Place polenta rounds and prosciutto on the baking sheet. Broil on the center rack until the prosciutto is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the prosciutto to a plate. Continue broiling the polenta, turning once, until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes per side.

3)Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and cornstarch in a small bowl. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until the shrimp just turn pink but aren’t cooked through, about 2 minutes. Pour in clam juice (or broth), bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 2 minutes more.

4)Whisk the cornstarch mixture again and add to the pan along with sage and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Top the polenta with the shrimp and sauce, crumble the prosciutto over the top and serve immediately.


Beer Battered Fish (Ckng Lght, Dec 09) 1.0
I had some whitefish fillets (a Lake Superior fish) in the freezer from when the Husband was home on leave when the December issue of Ckng Lght arrived. Lots and lots of great looking recipes in this issue! The Beer Battered Fish caught my eye, and I've had whitefish prepared so up at Angry Trout Cafe in Grand Marais so I thought I would give this a whirl.

This was a complete and total flop. Recipe recommended a dark beer so I used an Oatmeal Stout - too dark. The batter didn't puff up at all, which means I probably didn't have my oil hot enough. And I even did the drop something in test and watched the oil splatter all over! This didn't taste good in any way shape or form. I am bummed. I'm not even going to post the recipe.

No comments:

Popular Posts