Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Recipe Review from 2/22/10

Well, this post wraps up February's recipes. I did better than I thought - six new recipes for the month. Same as January. By no means by best ever, but not bad. And! I actually baked! I can't recall the last time I did that.

Squash Duxelle Casserole (Vegetarian Times, Feb 2010) 4.0
I had picked this dish about two weeks ago as part of my ongoing pantry reduction. The only thing I needed to buy was mushrooms. However, life being what it is, I finally got around to making this this past weekend. A bit putzy, but not bad. I'm not going to type this one out because it's a bit long and I'm miffed at VT for not getting their recipes on their website so I can link to them.

This recipe calls for about 2 lbs of thinly sliced squash (my thanks to my neighbors who left me three beautiful squash on my porch last fall - this was the last one of the bunch), layered between finely chopped mushrooms and a cheesy sauce. The gravy like sauce was made with milk and flour and seasoned with nutmeg, and should have been doubled. Not nearly enough sauce. Yet, this dish was delish! I loved the earthiness of the mushrooms and shallots against the sweetness of the squash, with a backdrop of nutmeg for spiciness. This would be a good holiday dish.

Iced Oatmeal Cookies (Veg Times Feb 2010) 4.0
It's been a while since I've baked; and it's been longer since I've baked vegan. Result - YUM! Oat flour is mixed with baking powder and baking soda, cinnamon and a dash of salt. In a separate bowl, a tich of butter (I did use real butter, not fake as called for) was blended with brown sugar and white sugar. To this is added applesauce, vanilla and flaxseed meal that was soaked in water. Toss in oatmeal and craisins. Bake and top with powdered sugar mixed with lemon juice.

As I used my homemade applesauce, I did drain for about 2 hours before using. I read somewhere that draining helps improve the consistency of baked goods when subbing applesauce for oil. Would I make these again! You bet! I probably will later this week. It makes a fairly small batch (about 18 cookies)


Black Bean Soup (Eating Well, Feb 2010) 4.0
I needed a soup for lunch this week, and I wanted something super simple and super quick. I was tempted to just buy some Amy's canned soups, but I found this recipe. AND I had 2 cans of black beans in the pantry plus a jar of open salsa in the fridge! Awesome.

Onion is cooked till translucent, or in my case, lightly caramelized. Chili powder and cumin are added and toasted. Toss in salsa, beans and water. Simmer 10 minutes or so and puree with my FAVORITE kitchen tool - my IMMERSION BLENDER! Taste was perfect, consistency is a bit thin, but I'm not going to complain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cookies sound wonderful!

Popular Posts