Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Recipe Review from 3/8/10

I was out of town this past weekend and didn't get to do my usual Sunday morning blogging. Instead, I was at day three of a three day intensive yoga workshop with a Bryan Kest as guest instructor. It was an absolute blast.

But I digress (as usual!). I made two really good dishes last week:

Gypsy Soup (Moosewood Ckbk by Mollie Katzen) 4.0
This soup came together very quickly and is a "whatever's in the cupboard" recipe. The idea is you substitute same color foods - for example the sweet potato, I used some leftover squash I had in the fridge. I also used canned diced tomatoes for the fresh because I didn't want to putz around peeling tomatoes, I swapped peas for the bell pepper, and used Swiss Chard for the celery including the leaves - great way to add some leafy green veggies.

This was outstanding and I would make it again. It made about 7 servings. It would also freeze well if you didn't want so much of the same leftovers in one week.

Gypsy Soup
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
3 Tablespoons Broth
2 cups onion -- chopped
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 cups sweet potatoes OR squash -- peeled and chopped
1/2 cup celery or Swiss chard -- chopped
3/4 cup bell pepper -- chopped (I used peas)
1 cup chopped fresh tomato (or 1/2 can diced)
1 1/2 cups (one can) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups Vegetable broth
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon tamari (skipped)
1 dash cinnamon

In a large pot, saute onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, and celery in olive oil and 3 Tablespoons broth for about 5 minutes. Add seasonings, except the tamari, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add remaining vegetables, chickpeas, and tamari. Simmer another 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender to taste.



Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce (EatingWell January/February 2010) 4.0
This recipe surfaced on the CL bulletin boards and I'm glad it did. Super simple and great taste. I did halve the recipe, but wish I had kept the sauce at full portions because I like things extra saucy. I served it over Israeli couscous. I'd make this one again with halibut when it comes into season.

Cod with Tomato Cream Sauce
This silky tomato sauce with a touch of cream makes mild-flavored cod sing. Serve with: Farro or rice and a salad of mixed greens.
4 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
•1-1 1/4 pounds Pacific cod (see Note) or tilapia fillets, cut into 4 pieces
•3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
•1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
•1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
•1 shallot, chopped
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•3/4 cup white wine
•1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
•1/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
•1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

Preparation
1.Season fish with 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Add wine, tomatoes and the fish to the pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the fish is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the fish to a large plate; keep warm.

2.Whisk cream and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Divide the fish and sauce among 4 shallow bowls.

No comments:

Popular Posts