Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Restarant Review: Surabhi

Surabhi Indian Cuisine is located in Bloomington, MN (Twin Cities) at 517 West 98th Street. It's in a small strip mall which was initially a bit of an adventure to find. My sister-in-law recommended the place and spoke highly of the fact that it represented Southern Indian food.

So it was that my friend and I made our annual pilgrimage to Minicon over Easter weekend (a local scifi convention) and we like to start the weekend with lunch on Fridays at a new place. We've done Indian, Afghan, Chinese, American...at least that's what I can remember over 15 years of attending.

First hint that it might be good - a huge party of Indians had just departed, like twenty guys. Inside, half the patrons were Indians. If these folks are eating here, they must be on to something.

Second hint, it was fairly busy for 1:30 in the afternoon. If a buffet is dead by 1:00, there might be concerns. But no, people were still coming in.

I don't recall if they had an option of ordering off the menu, but we went right for the buffet. An acceptable selection of options - both for carnivores and vegetarians. I was delighted they had my favorite Saag Paneer/Palak Paneer (creamed spinach with homemade cheese cubes. Yes. I'm weird.). Have to have the naan, and the basmati rice, and the little donut holes in syrup...now I'm full. I did try something that looked like a little white flying saucer with coconut milk but it really didn't grab my fancy.

I'm not sure anything more that pop and water were an option for drinks. Usually I order a Mango Lassi or Darjeeling tea, but nary a tea cup to be seen.

The decor is not much to get excited about; it was a bit dowdy. The signs over the buffet to take as much food as you wanted, but to please not waste was on the odd side. I'd go next door to Bakers Square for pie and tea if I wanted to linger and chat with my dining companion.

Still. Recommended. Buffet - $10.00.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence --- we ate at an Indian buffet on Saturday. It was our first time there.

It was good --- especially the beet root and rice crepes with a potato filling.

I loved the donuts in syrup too, but I behaved. I didn't eat too many.

Popular Posts