Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

Restaurant Review: Hanabi, Duluth, MN

Dudes. I am so totally discombobulated from these past two weeks I don’t know if I’m coming or going. Mondays are supposed to be my recipe review day but I honestly can’t remember the last new recipe I made. Why? You might inquire? Well, the Husband came back unexpectedly from Kuwait due to the passing of his mother. In between hospital visits, I made a run to the Cities for a Michael Buble concert (to be reviewed shortly) and my yearly science fiction convention (also to be reviewed shortly). I’ve been knitting mittens like a fiend (easy to do while waiting at the hospital) and reading.

But first, how about a restaurant review? It’s been a while since I’ve posted about good places to eat.

Hanabi, Duluth, MN

Japanese/Sushi
Menu

Hanabi’s opened just a couple months ago to good reviews. Owned and operated by some folks from New York who decided the Mpls/St. Paul sushi scene was saturated, they chose Duluth. I am so glad they did! A friend and I met here for lunch a while back - lucky me! - it’s within walking distance of my office. 11:30 was the appointed meeting hour and we were seated immediately. By noon, the place was comfortably full.

Beautiful mahogany woodwork is softly light with overhead lighting. A liquor bar is on the end closest to the street, complete with a monster plasma TV. Detraction IMO. The sushi bar is along the brick wall toward the back and in between are the tables and booths. I thought the place was warm if not a bit austere. Some modern art on the walls would have spruced up the plain green walls and added just a splash of color.

My friend and I each ordered green tea (a must in my opinion if eating sushi) and miso soup ($2.50/bowl). Much to my surprise it was yellow miso, not brown as I am accustomed to. Much more mild. I think I still prefer the brown.
We then shared:

Hanabi roll ($15) Shrimp tempura roll topped with fresh scallop, king crab meat and three different kinds of caviar. Seriously, this was heaven on a plate.

Uni ($8) two pieces comprised of rice wrapped in seaweed, topped with sea urchin and a quail egg. Not for everyone.

Kampyo roll ($4) cooked sweet squash. A nice simple sushi roll to counter the complex flavors above.

Prices are comparable to what I would find in the Cities (comparing to Midori’s Floating World, Origami, Tampopo, Kigigaua’s, and Fugi Ya’s). A bit pricey for a Duluth lunch - $42.00 total when all was said and done.

Excellent flavors and presentation; service was so so (waitress seemed to be new or not very experienced yet), good atmosphere. Reservations aren’t necessary for lunch, but will need them on Friday and Saturday nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you and your husband's loss. You are in our prayers during this difficult time.

Popular Posts