Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2010

Recipe Review from 6/1/10

I was in Bemidji, MN, for a work symposium on Black Ash and the Emerald Ash Borer for three days and then went to Grand Marais, MN, for four days, so no new recipes were made. But while I was up in Grand Marais lounging around and trying to stay warm, I brought my recent food magazines with and pulled out this recipes:

(Photo from CookingLight.com)

Spring Vegetable Carbonara (Ckng Lght, May 2010) 4.0
This was a bit more putzy to make than I anticipated, but in part that was because of the bacon. I have found I much prefer to bake my bacon than fry it (it turns out so much better folks!) and that takes a good 1/2 hour between getting the oven up to temp and then crisping the bacon. And I do like my bacon crisp. If it doesn't shatter when if dropped on the floor it tain't done! If you skip the bacon bit, this will assemble super fast.

While the bacon is cooking, everything else can be done as directed - with the exception of frying the red pepper - I just tossed it in the bottom of the bacon pan toward the end of the "frying" process to pick up the bacon flavors.

I also think my cheese was a bit on the old side as it didn't melt nicely and left glumps of cheese on my dish. Otherwise it turned out just like the picture! I would make this again - it is a great way to use up veggies in the fridge.

No comments:

Popular Posts