Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Emissaries from the Dead by Adam-Castro Troy


This is the first of this years 2010 Hugo Award Nominee selections that I am reading. I'm not voting this year as I'm not a member of Aussiecon, but I still like to see how my voting matches that of the Convention members.

The premise of this book is Andrea Cort, Counslor to the Diplomacy Corp Judge Advocate, is sent to the planetary habitat One One One to investigate the murder of one of the Dip Corp bondswoman en residence. It is her mission to find the murder, as long as it isn't - in any way, shape, or form - the AIsource for the habitat. What Andrea finds is a stirred up hornets nest of anger, resentments, and hidden agendas. What she also finds goes way beyond the borders of the habitat and into a past she has kept tight within herself.

I found I enjoyed this selection immensely. I was drawn to the wry humor of the heroine, could understand the governmental idiocy she had to deal with as part of her investigations, and applauded the author for mixing in clues that were obvious and then surprising the reader at the end with hidden agendas. I also enjoyed this because it was under 400 pages. A plus in a world where 1000 page doorjambs have become way too prevalent, in my humble opinion.

If you enjoy a mixture of sci-fi and mystery with a bit of James Bond thrown in, this is a book you may enjoy. Recommended.

No comments:

Popular Posts