Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mid-summer Garden Update

For those of us living in the Midwest, or more specifically the "Northland", our growing season is about half way through right now. Seriously. Garden goes in Memorial Day weekend - if we're lucky a week earlier - and one can pretty much count on first frost on or around September 15 in Duluth and farther north. We have to select seeds that will grow in cooler temps (no eggplant up here!) and will produce within 90 days.

This has really been an excellent summer for the garden. May was beautiful and most of the garden was in before Memorial Day. June did cause some angst with 18 days in a row with out sun and cool, wet, weather; but July...July has been fantastic! Warm, humid, a bit of rain, the garden is loving it!


Here's what we've been harvesting already:
cherries (done)
peas (done)
radishes
carrots
lettuce
Swiss chard
kale (my new favorite!)
raspberries
blueberries
zucchini
cherry tomatoes - just starting

Waiting on:
corn
winter squash
cabbages

The flowers are doing well too.  Though I must confess, I have an iris bed and a daylily bed where the grass has just gotten out of control.  (And I'm not going to show pictures of these embarrassments!)  I have initiated a weed eradication program, but I'm expecting once I pull most up, that both beds will need to be dug up and re-done.  I am hoping I can enlist the Husband  to help with the digging.  In the mean time I will leave you with these pictures:   

3 comments:

Gail O'Connor said...

Are those dianthus in your bottom picture? Mine have stopped flowering and turned yellow already. I'm having a really good garden year, too. If only I were less lazy about weeding. And the rabbits hadn't eaten all the beet greens. I'm making plans to double the size of the vegetable plot next year.

Kristin said...

Pinks actually, so technically, yes, dianthus. These are supposed to be the annual kind. I have the perennial kind out in the garden but they've been overtaken by grass. I've been really pleased with how they've done - they're in full sun all day and I haven't done much in the way of watering.

Gail O'Connor said...

Ah, mine are perennials. They look nice in June before everything else is really established, and then they poop out.

Popular Posts