Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Patrick Rothfuss Visits Duluth

On Tuesday evening, on very short notice, fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss made a stop in Duluth while visiting Northern Wisconsin.  I noted in my previous post that we don't get any scifi-fantasy authors up here.  In the 11 years I've been going to book group, he's technically second. The first scifi guest author (who shall remain nameless) was so bad he doesn't count.  To this day the book group agrees his book was the worst we have ever read.  I'm not kidding here.

So.  Patrick came, he read two selections, and signed books.  The first reading was from his college years when he was doing a column for the college paper.  He had a good point - for him  it was a precursor to modern day blogging.  The second selection was from his forthcoming book The Wise Man's Fear (Day 2 in the Kingkiller series).  Patrick was adamant that this book will be released on time in March, 2011.

As I said earlier, I have not read Day 1: In the Name of the Wind.  I'll get around to it eventually - I keep hoping we'll vote it in at book group but until one steadfast person is in absentea, that probably won't happen.  That and we had to wait till it came out in mass paperback. 

Now I noted Patrick read two selections, but he also talked and answered questions from the audience of about 40 people.  I found him to be engaging, comfortable in front of a group, and humorous.  He engaged the group for about an hour, then took a break before starting to sign books.  I departed at that point, not getting in line fast enough to get a copy of his children's story nor desiring an autograph. You will notice in the picture that the background looks suspiciously like a clothing store - B&N stuck us out in the hall at the mall, right across from Old Navy.  Poor Patrick had to compete with mall music, people walking by and no microphone.   If he could survive this, I suspect in not too long he'll be showing up at some local conventions.

Patrick kindly posing for pictures

No comments:

Popular Posts