Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #1)

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Jacket Blurb: Mercedes Thompson, aka Mercy, is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...  

I was dubious about this series - it was being dubbed as a "must read!" and "national bestseller!" which I tend to avoid like the flu. However, a friend gave this surprisingly positive review so I gave it a try.

This was a fast paced, well written, urban fantasy. The Grey Lords have outed the Fae, who now live on reservations because the humans couldn't quite accept them. Vampires still roam the night, and werewolves try and maintain their pack secrets. Somehow, Mercedes - or Mercy as she is called - becomes mixed up with all three.

What I appreciated was the strong heroine. She kicks butt, knows when to back off, and doesn't spend any time whining (no pun intended) about all the terrible things happening. I can't stand whiny heroines. The other characters were interesting and balanced enough to compliment Mercedes without detracting from her unique qualities.

Nuff said. I'll be reading the next one this weekend....



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Gail O'Connor said...

Glad you liked it. I avoided them for a long time, too, and now I'm a total convert.

Popular Posts