Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Shock Wave by John Sandford (Virgil Flowers #5)

Shock Wave (Virgil Flowers, #5)Shock Wave by John Sandford


My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From Goodreads.com: The superstore chain PyeMart has its sights set on a Minnesota river town, but two very angry groups want to stop it: local merchants, fearing for their businesses, and environmentalists, predicting ecological disaster. The protests don't seem to be slowing the project, though, until someone decides to take matters into his own hands.



The first bomb goes off on the top floor of PyeMart's headquarters. The second one explodes at the construction site itself. The blasts are meant to inflict maximum damage-and they do. Who's behind the bombs, and how far will they go? It's Virgil Flowers's job to find out . . . before more people get killed.

Oh, it was a happy day when the notice came from the library that it was my turn to get the newest Virgil Flowers book by Sandford! When I put it on request back in July, I was #5 in line. When I picked it up in December, there were about 20 people behind me. Popular indeed.

Absolutely loved this book. The humor was outstanding, the plot moved right along - if not a bit typical. We know what the antagonist is doing, we know he's one step ahead of enforcement. And while on one hand I want to be annoyed because I know what the bad guy is doing, on the other hand I'm facinated how the author manages to bring the two lines to a satsifactory conclusion. In all honesty, flashbacks annoy me more... rest assured, no flashbacks here. Only a lot of BANG!


I was also amused that I was able to figure out "who done it" fairly early on. I thought the clue(s) were fairly up front - not something I usually say about an audiobook - and the red herring rather obvious. But then, mysteries/thrillers authors tend to follow a pattern and when you read enough of an author the pattern starts to develop. Which is why I don't watch much in the way of mysteries on TV. I get annoyed when I figure out "who done it" in the first 10 minutes then have to slog through 40 minutes to have it confirmed.


But I digress. Very entertaining read, satisfactory ending, lots of humor and I'm curious to see if Sandford has set the plot for book #6 or if Virgil's and Davenport's last conversation was just a teaser with no lead in to the next book. I hate waiting....




View all my reviews


No comments:

Popular Posts