Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Recipe Review from 4/2/12

This was a short week for me and my initial meal plan went out the window after we forgot to go grocery shopping at the conclusion of a bonfire social in town on Saturday.  Now in our defense, it was like 11:30pm at night and my brain tends to shut down about 10pm.   Lunch and supper on Sunday ended up being a creative endeavor as you will see in the Spanish Rice recipe below. 

The short week comes in with my annual trek to Minicon!  A 47 year old science fiction convention held in Minneapolis, MN.  I've gone for 17 years now.  Holy Scifi Books, Batman!  Yeah...that's what I think too...   Tack on to that a quick visit to my see my new nephew and not too many new recipes were made.   I'll report more on nephew and Minicon in the next couple of days. 



Spanish Rice (cookinglight.com)
I was raiding the pantry for something to accompany the Chipolte Pork and came up with this recipe, which I greatly modified.  But even with as many substitutions as I did, it turned out pretty good.  Was a nice way to cut the heat of the chiplote sauce on the pork.   I'd make this again, as written even. 



  • 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion   (ran out of onion...)
  • 1 cup shelled green peas  (used up last of my frozen corn...)
  • 1 cup chopped plum tomato (used 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes)
  • 2 cups 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 medium peeled avocado, cut into 10 wedges

  • Preparation

    1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add peas, tomato, broth, chili powder, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Spoon onto plates. Sprinkle with cilantro; serve with avocado.

    No comments:

    Popular Posts