Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

2012 Novelette Hugo Nominee's

Best Novelette (7500 - 17500 words)
I'm slowly making progress on the 2012 Hugo Nominees.  What I like about the Short Stories and Novelette is I can fit them in when I have a few moments of quiet.  As of this posting, I still have the Novellas and Campbell Nominees to read. 

Again, hard to sumaraize when the story is already so short to begin with.  These are in order of my preference.   I really wasn't impressed with any of the  novelette selections this year; nothing lept out at me,  none of them seemed overly stellar.  Obviously somebody thought these were worthy, but it makes me wonder about the quality of what didn't get voted on.


What We Found” by Geoff Ryman (The Magazine of Fantasy &; Science Fiction, September/October 2011)   Set in Africa.  Science and a family's past; can the future be changed?

Six Months, Three Days” by Charlie Jane Anders (Tor.com)  Two people who can read the future, but in different ways, share six months and three days.  A story about complacency and action.

Ray of Light” by Brad R. Torgersen (Analog, December 2011)    Reminiscent of Spin by Robert Charles Wilson; Aliens change the world and we retreat under the sea.  One scientists daughter chaleanges the status quo by going to the surface.

Fields of Gold” by Rachel Swirsky (Eclipse Four)   Being dead, doing over, you can go back.

The Copenhagen Interpretation” by Paul Cornell (Asimov's, July 2011)    Not really sure what the heck this was about...I found it confusing and incomplete.  









No comments:

Popular Posts