Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Recipe Review from 8/26/12

By the time this is posted, I should be on my way back from the 70th World Science Fiction Convention in Chicago, IL.  Wednesday I hope to have a post about my adventures in the Windy City. 

I had time for a  new recipe before I left on vacation.  Not wanting to spend a lot of time in the kitchen with the beautiful weather we were having, plus I needed to pack and clean house before I left, I had some simple dishes on the meal plan. 

Open Faced Fried Egg Sandwiches with Onions and Mushrooms (Ckng Light Aug 2012)
Easy and a nice step up from the "Mc-sandwich" I usually make for breakfast.  Nice enough to have for a light lunch or supper in fact!  As usual, I deviated from the recipe.  I just caramelized the onions, lightly browned the mushrooms, fried the eggs, and assembled.  I also used English muffins for the base since I not only forgot to by some artisnal bread while at the store, but I didn't have another purpose for artisnal bread even if I had bought it.  English muffins worked just fine.  I also halved this recipe since there was just two of us.  I would totally make these again.  Yum!
photo from cookinglight.com
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 cup thinly sliced shallots, divided    (I used regular onions)
  • 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms  (I sliced my own)
  • 2 tablespoons dry white wine  (Skipped - I didn't want to open a bottle of wine for 2 tbsp)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 8 teaspoons refrigerated pesto
  • 4 (1 1/2-ounce) slices multigrain bread   (English muffins)
  • 2 ounces grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1/2 cup)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomato
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

  • 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 2/3 cup shallots; cook 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add wine, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and salt; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove mushroom mixture from pan; keep warm.
    2. Return pan to medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add remaining 1/3 cup shallots; sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove shallots from pan; keep warm.
    3. Preheat broiler to high.
    4. Spread 2 teaspoons pesto over one side of each bread slice. Top each slice with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts; keep warm.
    5. Return pan to medium heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Crack eggs into pan, and cook 4 minutes or until whites are set.
    6. Top each bread slice with 2 tomato slices. Divide mushroom mixture evenly among bread slices, and top each serving with 1 egg. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, shallots, and basil.

    3 comments:

    Karl A. said...

    K1,
    The idea behind opening a bottle of wine for 2 Tsp of wine is that you put the rest in a glass and drink it! It's an old chefs trick. ;)

    Kristin said...

    Lol! Like I need an excuse to open a bottle of wine. ;) Was being lazy. Butler was off and I didn't want to go down to the cellar and get a bottle. :p

    Karl A. said...

    Just have Jeebs put two bottles on the dumbwaiter next time!

    Popular Posts