Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2012

Recipe Review from 10/22/12

Week started out good recipe and weather wise.  By the end of the week the weather had turned crapola and so had my intent for cooking.  Supper one night was leftover pizza, pie and hot cocoa.  Dinner of champions!

Foundation on the outbuilding is in and curing. Contractors won't be back for  a while - probably a good thing given the wind and rain/sleet/snow we had this week.  Parts of the Iron Range got 5"! Two inches at our house, nothing in downtown Duluth. 

And the recipes:

Skillet Baked Beans (Vegetarian Family Cookbook by Nava Atlas)
Super easy and very tasty.  I used dried beans, cooked them in the slow-cooker, timing it so I could start dinner assembly as they finished.  I admit, I overcooked my beans just a tich, but I really dislike crunchy beans so I'm not complaining.

I made this an 'adult' beanie and wienie dish by sauteing some kielbasa first, removing, then caramelizing the onions.  If you haven't noticed before, caramelizing onions is pretty much a given for me.  I love the sweetness they bring to a dish.  Then I proceeded to make the recipe as written.  Very good in my opinion.

This dish is GF if you watch the ketchup and mustard ingredients and vegan if you skip my kielbasa addition.

This made 4 servings with my dried beans. 

 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium-large onion, thinly sliced (I diced)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Three 16 oz cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
(OR 2 cups dried beans, cooked)
1/3 cup good quality ketchup
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp molasses
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground ginger

1. Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add the onion and saute over medium-low heat until translucent.  Add the garlic and continue to saute until the onion is golden.

2. Add the remaining ingredients plus three tbsp water, stir together, and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, 10-15 minutes.  Serve.

Authors Make it a Meal Recommendation:  Serve with baked or microwaved sweet potatoes and a simple cooked grain - brown rice is good...  Then add a high-nutrient steamed green vegetable.  



Pumpkin Pancakes  (Ckng Lght BB/Taste of Home Oct/Nov 01)
It's Fall, and nothing says Fall like PUMPKIN!  This was a nice way to change up Sunday Pancake Day.  Lightly flavored pumpkin cakes with nuances of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.  No single spice dominates creating a lovely infusion of flavor.  Pure maple syrup or  apple butter are excellent toppings.

1 cup all purpose flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. freshly ground nutmeg or mace
2 eggs -- separated
1 cup milk (I used goat)
1/2 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
1 1/2 T. vegetable oil   (I forgot it completely and didn't even notice)
splash of 1 tsp vanilla 

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium or large bowl.

In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, pumpkin, oil and vanilla.

Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.

Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until second side is golden brown.

Original Posters Notes:  Original recipe only called for 1/2 t. cinnamon and no vanilla and 2 T. oil. I used 1 1/2 T. oil and think 1 T. would probably be fine. I used a 1/3 cup measure and got 12 pancakes. Might up the sugar just a bit next time? 



"Nettle" Tarts  (Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson)
These look complicated, but really assembly went very quickly especially with two of us dividing duties.  While I chopped the Tuscan kale (my sub for nettles) in the blender, the Husband caramelized the onions.  I used a pre-made pie crust (Pillsbury) so I just had to unroll and cut out.  The cut outs do need to be 4" and not 3" as written.

My only other modification was to cut back the heavy cream to 1 cup.  I think 1/2n1/2 could be easily substituted.  These baked up very nicely and with a side of colorful baked veggies are definitely fit for company.

Crust:
I used Pilsbury.  Can make your own.

Filling:
8 oz (nettles) or spinach or kale, washed and trimmed
3 tbsp EVOO
1 cup chopped onions
2 tbsp sugar 
2 tbsp dry white wine
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (I recommend 1 cup 1/2 n 1/2)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare crust if making own.  Let crust warm up if not.

2. Preheat oven to 350*

3. Working in batches, combine the [greens] with 2 tbsp of EVOO in a food processor.  Process for 8-10 seconds or until finely chopped.

4.  In a skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tbsp EVOO.  Sitr in the onions and sugar and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the onions begin to caramelize.  Stir in the wine and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the wine is nearly evaporated.

5. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and cream for 2-3 minutes, or until well blended.  Season with salt and pepper.

6. Roll out dough.  Cut dough into 4" circles - you will need 12 "cookies".  Place circles into lightly greased muffin tins.  Place [greens] into prepared muffin cups.  Spoon onions on top and fill each cup with some of the egg mixture.

7.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set and the tops are brown.   Remove from the oven and let cool cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  Remove from tin and serve.   

No comments:

Popular Posts