Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

Blood Oath (Nathaniel Cade, #1)Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




Jacket blurb:  Zach Barrows is a cocky, ambitious White House employee until he's abruptly transferred out and partnered with Nathaniel Cade, a secret agent sworn to protect the president. But Cade is no ordinary civil servant. Bound 140 years ago by a special blood oath, Nathanial Cade is a vampire. On the orders of the president he defends the nation against enemies far stranger-and even more dangerous-than civilians like Zach could ever imagine.

I picked this up one evening and before I knew it I was a third of the way through the book.  A quick read that just pulled me along with an engaging and interesting set of characters.  It is set in Washington DC, so everyone is an asshole, but to different degrees.  I liked that roughness.  I liked that our vampire didn't sparkle, made people pee their pants, and wasn't perfect. 

My main criticism was with the cliche's - the inside political traitors were a bit over the top, the new kid on the job who has to be a hero and screws up, and of course we had to bring in the Islamic extremists.  Three plot elements that tend to be over done.

We also have so many loose ends waving around in the wind at the conclusion, that the ending wasn't really the ending, but a convenient way to set up our cast of characters for coming books.  And I do mean plural "books".  In this regards it kinda felt like a James Bond episode where we know Dr. Evil will be back, and this time the Bond Girl herself has a bone to pick with our hero, perhaps with a wooden stake to the heart.  And the Love Interest has run off into the night to resurface a different episode and kick the Bond Girls butt.  And our trusty sidekick will get into trouble again, it's just a matter of time...


But most importantly, I liked it.  It was a decent first book and I look forward to seeing how the characters and writing develops in further books.



View all my reviews



No comments:

Popular Posts