Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2013

Summer Knight by Jim Butcher (Dresden #4)

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Jacket Blurb: Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.


Rather than our overworked wizard, Harry Dresden, getting into trouble over his head, he starts out in trouble - right from the first toad falling from the sky and things just go splat from there.  The White Council is predisposed to handing his skinny ass over to the vampires in retribution for starting a war and to rid themselves of a troublemaker.  The Faires expect him to stop a war.  The werewolves want to help him - I think I've noted in one of my past reviews (Grave Peril maybe?) that this series is starting to skirt the line with being overly dramatic.  Again I ask, really, how much can one wizard take physically and emotionally?  Well, apparently he has super-human coping abilities as well as super wizard abilities.

My other issue (well...I have more than one issue, but we are not talking High Fantasy here) with this installment resides with the brief appearance of Karrin Murphy, our mortal cop and detective.  He brings her into his confidence, manages to get her knee broken while fighting the baddies, and now she's out of the picture.  We won't get to find out how she fares until the next book.  Annoying.  On the positive side of character development, the author brings back the Alpha's a young pack of werewolves that have matured.  They help Harry as much as Harry helps them and I liked that kind of character growth.

Anyway, coping gripes and characters aside, I loved the quips in this one.  One favorite:  Bob the Skull to Harry, “Here's where I ask why don't you spend your time doing something safer and more boring. Like maybe administering suppositories to rabid gorillas.” 

Great comments combined with a fast pace had me whipping through this in a couple of days and wanting book #5 right now



View all my reviews
  

No comments:

Popular Posts