Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

Recipe Reveiw from 12/16/13

Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!  Crazy wild weather, eh?

I could have sworn I made two new recipes last week, but I guess not.  I had a pasta dish on deck but ended up not being necessary and pushed into the coming week, which, from the looks of things this snowy Monday morning, might end up getting pushed back yet again. 

This recipe is a good one! 

Slow Cooked Potato Soup  (Ckng Light Slow Cooker)  gluten free; vegetarian option
This met two requirements this week:  one was a slow cooker recipe, the other was to use up my sprouting potatoes.  Alas, a quarter of my potatoes had gone moldy so I didn't have quite 3lbs.  I did fry the bacon and saute the onions for this dish - I wanted the depth of flavor the bacon offers when combined with caramelized onion.  I did not peel my potatoes - seems silly in my opinion when everything is going to be blended anyway.

This was outstanding.  Creamy, flavorful, hearty, absolutely perfect for these chilly, snowy days that we've been having.  This made enough for lunches for the week for both of us.  Recommended!

photo from cookinglight.com
  • 3 bacon slices**  optional
  • 1 cup chopped onion 
  • 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices cubed (I used Yukon Golds)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups 1% low-fat milk  (used 1 cup)
  • 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup), divided 
  • 1/2 cup light sour cream
  • 4 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
  1. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
  2. Place potato slices and onion in a 5-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Combine 1/2 cup water and next 3 ingredients (through pepper); stir into mixture in slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
  3. Mash mixture with a potato masher; stir in milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Increase heat to HIGH. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with sour cream and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Sprinkle with bacon and chives.

On deck for this week:
Slow Cooker Gumbo
Spicy Ham Soup

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love potato soup. Maybe if it EVER cools off here I can give your recipe a try.

While you guys are freezing, we are having record setting heat. It's been a STRANGE winter so far. LOL

Popular Posts