We spent the weekend at Caribou Highlands, at Lutsen, MN. The Superior Hiking Trail hike was from Lutsen to Oberg Mountain, a distance of 7 miles. There were two optional spur trails which we did not take due to distance and weather - another time perhaps. As it was, the last 45 minutes of the hike was in a downpour and we ended rather soggy. Rain aside, colors were peaking up the shore and the maple ridges were absolutely resplendent. Sunday we decided to walk up to the Poplar River and then take the gondola up to Moose Mountain.
|View from our unit; Moose mountain to the right.|
|Hard part done! At least for the first mountain.... (Photo by S.C.)|
|Poplar River just before sunrise|
|Gondola up to Moose Mountain, Lake Superior in the distance. Wheee!|
And the recipes:
Pasta with Eggplant and Parmesan Cheese (Ckng Lght Oct 2013)
A good recipe for end of the summer garden produce. We used the last of our white eggplants - didn't get a lot this summer what with the nights that kept dropping below 50*. I skipped the garlic and parsley simply because I didn't feel like putzing with it. I omitted the pine nuts because I didn't feel like buying them. I grilled the eggplant and tomatoes (love grilled veggies), and proceeded as directed from there. I did serve with extra EVOO on the side. Fresh, bright, easy and delicious!
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package uncooked pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta) (I used fettuccine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
5 large garlic cloves, crushed photo from CookingLight.com
- 1 pound eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (10-ounce) container grape tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces fresh pecorino Romano cheese, shaved (about 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Cook pasta according to directions; omit salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, eggplant, oregano, and tomatoes on a jelly-roll pan; toss. Broil 8 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften.
- Combine reserved cooking liquid, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and peppers in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add pasta and eggplant mixture; toss. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts, and parsley.
Sausage and Rice (adapted from a Whole Foods Co-op flyer)
I changed this recipe enough that I'm posting what I did, rather than what the recipe actually called for. Cooking and preparation time went from 1 hour to under 30 minutes.
1 pkg instant brown rice (I used Uncle Ben's)
2 polish sausage links (keilbasa would also be fine), cut into medallions
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4-1/2 cup water (from the rice is fine)
1) Prepare rice according to directions on package.
2) Once rice is cooking, saute onion until lightly browned. Add sausage, cook 2-5 minutes more or until lightly browned. Add paprika and thyme, stirring. Add rice, stir. Add 1/4 cup water (more as needed) to thicken rice mixture slightly and distribute seasonings.
3) Makes about 2 servings.