Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Camel Club by David Baldacci

The Camel Club (Camel Club, #1)The Camel Club by David Baldacci

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



Jacket Blurb:  Existing at the fringes of Washington D.C., the Club consists of four eccentric members. Led by a mysterious man know as "Oliver Stone," they study conspiracy theories, current events, and the machinations of government to discover the "truth" behind the country's actions. Their efforts bear little fruit --- until the group witnesses a shocking murder ... and become embroiled in an astounding, far reaching conspiracy. Now the Club must join forces with a Secret Service agent to confront one of the most chilling spectacles ever to take place on American soil --- an event that may trigger the ultimate war between two different worlds. And all that stands in the way of this apocalypse is five unexpected heroes.


A new-to-me author; I've been eyeballing his books in the checkout line at the grocery store and the Camel Club was available as an audiobook.  Unfortunately, the book wasn't my cuppa tea and I couldn't finish it.

The story is a healthy blend of internal espionage, terrorism, murder and romance with more info dumps than I could keep track of.  Off the top of my head, I recall being lectured on Islamic culture, Chinese karate, the internal workings of no less than three major government agencies (who all despise each other, of course), political hierarchy, and how a Secret Service agent is supposed to dress and behave in public.

The writing is very competent, the subject obviously well researched, the plot has more twists and turns than the streets in San Francisco, but it just didn't interest me.  I returned this to the library unfinished and will perhaps try a different series by this author.

Recommended if you like modern day politically-based spy thrillers.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Popular Posts