The Meal Plan:
Mon (yoga) - leftover Rogan Josh from previous week
Tues (yoga) - leftover Rogan Josh from previous week
Wed (Husband at Bullseye) - homemade 'raman noodle soup'
Thurs (yoga) - Sausage Soup with Wild Rice and Spinach
Fri - leftover soup
Sat (L) grilled cheese and tomato soup (s) leftover soup
Sausage Soup with Wild Rice and Spinach (Ckng Lght, Oct 2000) gluten free
This was simplified a bit because I already had some wild rice pre-cooked and frozen. I also doubled the amount of rice because I couldn't just thaw "a bit". No biggie. I love wild rice - the more the better! I subbed Italian venison sausage for the turkey. This comes together pretty quick with not a lot of prep. Most of the time is bringing the mixture to a boil and simmering. Flavors were reminiscent of an Italian dish like lasagna or spagetti and meatballs. I thought this was outstanding. Recommended.
I will note, this makes a lot. Enough for 4 meals for two of us. Recipe did note this does freeze well - it didn't stick around long enough for us to find out.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage (I used venision)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups torn spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned; stir to crumble. Drain sausage; set aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the sausage, 3 cups water, and the next 5 ingredients (water through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in cooked wild rice, spinach, salt, and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls; sprinkle with cheese.