Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2016

Recipe Review from 3/28/2016

A very uneventful week up here.  It snowed.  Snow melted.  It rained.  Snow melted some more.  It snowed again.  And it got cold.  Again.

Husband and I got together with friend Tess to watch the final four tourney, and even that was uneventful with Villanova soundly beating  Oklahoma and Syracuse getting spanked by North Carolina.  Two blow out games. 

Even meals were uneventful and leftovers or re-makes, with the exception of the broccoli salad:

Sun (S)  pasty with gravy and salad
Mon (yoga/bkgrp/Legion)  out or leftover zucchini soup
Tues (Block) leftover zucchini soup
Wed - leftover zucchini soup
Thurs (yoga)  Salmon, rice and salad
Fri (Block)  leftover zucchini soup  (...and it's finally gone!)
Sat (L) hummus and veggies   (S)  FINAL FOUR!!   Take out fried chicken, broccoli salad, pie

Lunches/Snacks - homemade hummus, veggies, pita bread, fruit, yogurt, luna bars


Restaurant-Style Hummus  (modified from ATK)  gluten free, vegetarian   **sesame allergy
I will do a shout out about the hummus recipe though.  I discovered this recipe in Cooks Illustrated by America's Test Kitchen years ago and fell in love with the simplicity and flavors, and I've been making it ever since.  It makes about a cup and a half, roughly. 

A food processor is a must, unless you have a mega-blender.  

I have used Krinos tahini and found it to be somewhat runny for my tastes, thus making my hummus a bit thin.  My preference is the fresh-ground tahini from my co-op, which is more paste-like.  You can also use more or less olive oil to adjust the consistency.   I love hummus sandwiches (soft artisinal white bread, hummus, provolone cheese, sprouts, tomato or red pepper - yum!), or as a veggie dip with pita wedges. 

Enjoy!

Combine and set aside:
Photo from food.com
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp lemon juice

Combine and set aside:
6 tbsp tahini**  (I found the 'homemade' from the co-op is the best for consistency)
2 tbsp olive oil   (I use 1 tbsp if my tahini is runny, 2 tbsp or more if my tahini is very thick)

Rinse and drain:
15 oz can chickpeas

Rest of ingredients:
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
pinch cayanne

Optional:  fresh cilantro or parsley leaves for garnish

1) Prepare in order listed above.

2) Put chickpeas, garlic, cumin, salt and cayanne in food processor.   Blend 15 seconds, stopping to scrape sides once.

3) With food processor going, add water mixture to chickpeas and blend until mostly smooth, stopping and scraping sides once.

4)  With food processor going, add tahini mix, blending until smooth, stopping and scraping sides once.

5) Refrigerate couple hours or overnight to let flavors meld for best results.  Top with cilantro or parsley as desired. 


Broccoli Apple Salad  (The Recipe Critic via Pinterest)  vegetarian, gluten free*
I love variations on broccoli salads, and this one caught my eye.  Super easy to toss together, perfect for a potluck, picnic, or other gathering.   I did skip the red onion as I don't care for onion breath and raw onion disagrees with many peoples tummies (like the Husbands).  I also served the pecans along side so they wouldn't get mushy soft, not everyone likes pecans, and just in case of nut allergies.

This also made enough to easily serve 8-10 people.   Lots of leftovers from my small gathering!



photo from The Recipe Critic
Serves: 4-6
  • 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, (about 2 medium heads)
  • ½ cup shredded carrots
  • ¼ cup diced red onion
  • 2 large apples, finely chopped (I used gala apples)
  • ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
  • ½ cup dried cranberries
  • Creamy dressing ingredients:
  • ½ cup lite mayonnaise*
  • ½ cup low fat Greek yogurt
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ⅛ teaspoon pepper
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl combine broccoli, carrots, red onion, apples, pecans, and dried cranberries.
  2. To make the dressing: Whisk together mayonnaise, greek yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
  3. Add the dressing to the salad and toss to coat. Chill until ready to serve.
 Author:

No comments:

Popular Posts