Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

Recipe Review from 1/31/17

The Meal Plan for week of 1/31:
Sun (L)  leftovers  (S) Pork Vindaloo
Mon (yoga) leftover vindaloo
Tues (Vet apt am)  leftover vindaloo
Wed (Oil change am) Sheet pan chicken
Thurs (yoga) leftovers
Fri - leftovers
Sat (L) more leftovers   (S) pasty with veggies and gravy
 
Lunches - Squash Soup, pita chips
 
 
Pork Vindaloo (modified from America's Test Kitchen Slow Cooker Revolution)  gluten free
Time got away from me and I didn't get the recipe typed out.  This is one of ATK's simpler recipes - sauté the aromatics, add the tomatoes, put in slow cooker and add pork [lamb].  Cook long and slow.  The original recipe calls for lamb, which is not readily available here, so I subbed pork. 


Recipe suggested serving over toasted, cooked couscous, I opted for basmati rice.   This seemed to be lacking...something.  Some background flavor of some kind that I can't quite put my finger on.  Tumeric perhaps?  I also thought this could have used more zing. 
   
I would recommend this one - it makes a lot, perfect for lunches during the week, or for Indian night on the weekend.  Add some naan to round out the meal!

 
 
I admit, the concept of "sheet pan suppers" is a bit new to me.  I've definitely used sheet pans to prepare individual aspects, but never for a full and completely meal (to my recollection).  So, I thought this was worth a try. 

First thing, my modifications - I dropped the acorn squash.  Yes, it looks pretty in the picture, but I thought it was squash overkill with the butnut.   Second, my chicken was tiny.  As in 2lbs tiny - so I just cooked everything at the same time and only for 30 minutes (which was about 5 minutes to long maybe?)


My observations: picture is deceiving.  I weighed out my ingredients and if I had had the amount of chicken called for, I would have needed two pans (I was using a standard baking sheet/cookie sheet).  You still might need two pans if made as directed.


Overall - I liked this.  I think I should have used chicken breasts or thighs as called for and not one of my little homestead chickens.  I

Active time: 20 mins
Total time 1 hr
Yield Serves 6 (serving size: 4 oz. chicken and 1 cup vegetables)
 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, divided
photo from cookinglight.com

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
4 (10-oz.) bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 lb.)
3 large shallots, peeled and quartered
1/2 acorn squash, seeded and cut crosswise into slices
8 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided

  1. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in oven; preheat oven to 425°F (leave pan in oven as it preheats).
  2. Combine sage, mustard, and syrup in a small bowl; brush evenly over chicken breasts. Carefully remove pan from oven. Add chicken to pan; bake at 425°F for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Discard any juices from pan.
  3. Add butternut squash, shallots, acorn squash, and Brussels sprouts to pan with chicken. Top vegetables with butter, oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper; toss. Spread in an even layer around chicken. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake at 425°F for 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove bones from chicken before serving; discard.




No comments:

Popular Posts